CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Im sorry for being so critical last night," Florence watched from the doorway as Vanya spoke to Five. He wasn't sure what to expect when Vanya called his name with the intention to talk. She seemed hesitant but was quickly reassured by Florences encouraging smile. "I dont- i guess I dont know what you've been through, so its not fair of me to make judgements."

Fives expression had softened considerably - this conversation wasn't going the way he had expected and so he was caught off guard, suspicious almost.

But it was Vanya, and because it was Vanya, he would listen.

She could tell just by the way she held herself that Vanya was fidgeting nervously with her hands.

"If what you're saying is true, then I believe you." She said more certainly, looking over her shoulder at Florence who nodded, arms crossed, leaning against the doorway. "We believe you."

She swore she could almost see a weight being lifted off of the boys shoulders as his lips twitched. "Thanks, Vanya."

"Uhm, I dont know what help I can offer, im not like you guys, but..." she looked down. "If you need anything, you can call me. Or Florence. She always knows where i am."

Vanya stepped back a step surprised as Five wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug.

Florence smiled down at the floor, knowing the two probably cherished that single moment more than either would realise.

He pulled away and looked more at ease than she had ever seen him; she hadnt known him long, but could only assume this was a rare moment considering his seriousness and usual confidence.

"I just wanted to apologise for yesterday. But if it means anything, I believe you can fix it."

"Yeah?" He rose an eyebrow, the smile slowly leaving his face, the confidence he usually held dwindling.

She nodded. "You're smart. You can fix anything."

"I hope you're right." He murmurs.

Vanya goes to leave and reaches to touch Florences hand at her side. She squeezes it and Florence just looks proud of her. "See you later, yeah?"

Florence nodded. "Call me when you're done. We can do something."

She nodded back and glanced over her shoudler once at Five, who's eyes had flickered down to their joint hands briefly. "Its good to have you back Five."

As Vanya walked away down the hall, Five caught Florences eyes. She had a small smile on her face.

Her footsteps slowly dissappear and she hears her saying goodbye to Pogo on her way out, all the way from floors below.

"You convinced her." Five says, impressed, hands sliding into his pockets as he regards her with an interested look.

"I can be very persuasive." She cracked her fingers and stepped further into the room, stretching her wings out behind her like stretching her arms above her head. They almost touched the wall on both sides and he couldnt help but marvel at the unique sight.

"Clearly."

"Look, it wasnt all me. I think deep down she believed you but was scared to accept it because it would make it real. She rationalised it in her head as a way to cope. All she needed was a nudge in the right direction."

"She trusts you." He observes.

"I should hope so." A single pause. "I can hear Klaus breathing."

A second later he bursts out of the closet, ruffling his hair. "Thank god, it was stuffy in there."

"Hey Klaus." She pulled her wings back to her sides and let them trail lazily on the floor behind her, almost like a cloak.

"You guys are so sweet!" Klaus gushed, hand on his heart. "Hey when you guys get married, who's wearing what? Because I cant see either of you in a dress, personally."

"Klaus..." she narrowed her eyes at him in warning, cheeks reddening. "Please shut up."

"You'd both look smoking hot in suits!" He gasps, clapping his hands together in glee. "Can I be the maid of honor-"

Florence cleared her throat, appreciating the compliment - they both would look incredible in suits, it was true - but her cheeks grew red and she didnt quite know what to say.

"-klaus, focus." Five snapped his fingers in his face to gain his attention. "I thought I told you to wear something professional."

He looked offended. "This is my nicest outfit."

"We'll have to raid the old man's closet." Five went to leave, annoyed.

"No need." Florence stated.

They looked at her in question. "Half the clothes I buy are mens anyways. Youre a small, right?" Her boots clomped as she passed them, allowing them to follow into her room. She didnt care what they thought of the mess in the gloomy room.

She went straight to the wardrobe and pushed past a set of shirts, pulling one out and turning it around. They all noticed huge slits on the back through the fabric and she put that one back immediately, looking sheepish at their curious looks.

She came back out with a dark grey button up shirt that was intact, as far as she could see.

She threw it at Klaus who caught it.

"Thank you my dear-"

"I could have sworn i had more regular shirts somewhere..." she muttered.

Klaus coughed awkwardly and scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah, weird."

She narrowed her eyes at him, suspicious.

"We need to go." Five reminded them. He looks questioningly at Florence who pulls a face.

"No." She says immediately.

"Why not?"

"Listen, ill help you if you need it - but only so long as I can maintain a shred of dignity. I'm not being your mother, I'm not being his fake girlfriend."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine."

"That wouldnt work in any way," klaus denied, shaking his head at her. "Were on the opposite sides of the sexuality spectrum. I feel like you'd start melting in broad daylight if you tried to act straight."

"Yes, thank you, Klaus. You can leave now!" She said loudly.

Five concealed his amused smile and dragged his brother out the room.