CHAPTER FIVE

After everything went to shit and everyone split up, angered by Luther's accusation, Vanya found herself sitting on the staircase with her head in her hands.

Silence rang out and she was tired. But she was also hiding something. While the others were talking, it had been on her mind the whole time. In actual fact Florence had shown herself earlier on, when Vanya was in her old room. And Vanya could ask her to show herself at any time, because she was the only one out of all the Hargreeves who bothered to stay in touch with her. The actual fact was; Florence didnt want to show up when the others called because she had no reason to.

A light gust of wind shifted her hair into her face and Vanya looked up with a knowing smile.

A curly, dark haired woman dropped expertly into a crouch, her black, leathery wings similar to that of a bats hanging from her back. She grinned back at Vanya, remaining crouched, arm resting over her knee.

"The others were wondering when youd show up," Vanya spoke quietly.

Florence's eyes glinted as she looked up at her closest friend. "I'm not here for the others, am I?" She asks, moviny to sit next to her on the step, shoulders brushing. Her British accent made her stand out from the others, another reminder that she wasnt really one of them - she wasnt raised with them, she wasnt a Hargreeves, she was nothing but some twisted replacement for their lost sibling, some outcast who wasn't wanted.

Vanya and Florence sat shoulder to shoulder on the main set of stairs, staring vacantly at the front door, both equally wishing to leave but not willing to just yet. Theyd talked shit about Luther (Florence did the most talking), and now their mental energy was spent. Everything had gone to shit and it was just like when they were kids.
Florence rested her head on Vanyas shoulder with a sigh.

She suddenly pulled away from Vanya, turning to reach for something in her jacket pocket. "Sweets?" She offered.

"Do you have strawberry?" Vanya questioned and Florence held her hand out with a grin.

"You know I do," she winked, and Vanya happily unwrapped the hard candy and popped some into her mouth while Florence unwrapped a sour apple one and crunched it, making the woman next to her flinch.

"What?" She asked innocently around a mouthful of crunching.

"Why cant you just savor the flavor?" She asked lightly.

"Because I'm impatient."

Ever since she came to the academy and they became friends, sharing candy became a common thing between the two. One time she'd managed to sneak some from the others secret stashes in their rooms (which weren't much of a secret to Florence, who snuck around while they went out on missions without care) and had been stealing the sweet and sours for years. She'd leave no trace, grab a handful and then reappear in front of Vanya with a cheeky grin.

Now she baught sweets just for the two of them; Vanya preferred the sweet ones: strawberry, raspberry, mango, while Florence adored the sour ones. In one jacket pocket she had a bunch of pineapple, apple and lemon and lime candies while in the inside pocket she kept the ones for Vanya out of habit.

Both women perked up at the sound of music playing in the distance, likely from Luthers room as he was the one with the record player.

Children behave...

Florence stood and held a hand out to Vanya who looked at her confused.

"Dont leave me to dance on my own!" She exclaimed, reaching for her hand and pulling her up reluctantly. Their hands linked together and they moved side to side to the beat of the music, trying to conceal their laughter at how childish they were being.

Vanya took her hand and laughed softly as the woman spun her around, moving her body along with the song. She followed along with the dancing for Florence's sake, letting her lead and pull her around, swaying side to side with smiles. It was awkward and embarrassing but who else was there to see it? Just them, together, and that was fine with both of them.

Florence mouthed the lyrics to her, their hands together, swinging to the beat between them. "How do you still remember the lyrics after all this time?" Vanya asked in wonder.

Said girl shrugged back, a sheepish look on her face. "I've gone through luthers record stash more than a hundred times. It gets boring stuck here."

Vanya rolls her eyes and Florence let's go of one hand to spin her around again when a loud booming crash suddenly cuts off the music.

Florence clutches her ears, wings flaring at her back, tensing against her as they let go of eachother, eyes flickering around for the source of the noise.

Vanya and Florence both raced outside, Florence grappling onto the stone wall to pull herself up onto the windowledge then reach out with the claws at the end of her wings to pull herself further up onto the roof. Vanya was used to this and it was just in time as the others rushed out, circling around the anomaly in the sky. Her eyes were glued to the swirling mass of energy parallel to her.

She crouched beside a triangular point in the roof, claws securing her to the tiles, the dark colour of her wings and clothes making it easier for her to blend in. Also, her siblings were quite dense - they never remembered to look up.
The crashing stopped and a figure fell to the floor with a harsh thud.

Florence couldnt believe her eyes as she looked down at someone she really didnt expect to see - but he was the spitting image of the boy in the portrait above the fire place! the Hargreeves that had disappeared years ago, just before her arrival. Shed only heard stories about Number Five, but Vanya didnt like talking about her old friend too often as it brought back sad memories. Even from the great distance she was at she could see him crystal clear.

"Can anyone else see little number five or is it just me?" Klaus wondered out loud, fearful that it was only him. By the dead silence and surprise on everyones faces, his question was indeed answered.

"Can this day get any weirder?" She murmured.