CHAPTER SIX

Florence kept her distance, entering after the others and sliding her boots off so that her footsteps would be dead silent. She still didnt want to greet the others and remained in the room just outside the kitchen, placing her boots just around the side of the doorway out of sight and sneaking into the back of the kitchen, closest to the door and behind all the others - if she stayed quiet they wouldn't even notice she was there, she'd had years of practice to perfect it.

What she couldnt account for was the anomaly of the Hargreeves siblings.
She stayed behind Luther and Diego, arms folded out of curiosity.

Originally she was going to expertly climb to the wooden beams across the ceiling of the next room, settling down in the corner above the door like she often did when they were younger - she had lots of memories of being yelled at to get down by Sir Reginald - but this seemed far too important to miss out on.

"Whats the date?" He asked, pulling out a chopping board and ignoring his siblings astounded stares.

"The 24th." Vanya answered.

"Of what?"

"March."

"Good."

Florence watched with interest, glad the spotlight was on someone else.

"Its been seventeen years, Five." Luther states.

"Its been a lot longer than that." He glares. For a brief second his eyes flicker over Vanya's shoulder and Florence freezes like a deer caught in headlights.

She puts a finger to her lips and he immediately turns his gaze to the others, only glancing at her every so often.

He disappears in a flash of blue and reappears behind Luther, reaching into a cupboard before jumping back. Florence raised an eyebrow, kind of impressed.

"Whered you go?" Diego questioned wearily.

"The future. Its shit, by the way."

Klaus stuck his hand up excitedly from his spot ontop of the table. "Called it!"

Five sighs, grabbing a jar of peanut butter and beginning to make a sandwich. His expression turned bitter. "I should have listened to the old man. You know, jumping through space is one thing but jumping through time is a toss of the dice," he looks up at Klaus. "Nice dress."

"Oh, danke."

Vanya spoke up. "Wait, how did you get back?"

"In the end I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that existed across every possible instance of time." He explained quickly and Florence rubbed the space between her eyebrows, mind struggling to catch up.

"That makes no sense."

"Well it would if you were smarter."

Diego darted to a stand before being stopped by Luther. Florence almost smiled in amusement.

"How long were you there?" Luther inquired.

"Forty five years, give or take."

Florence widened her eyes. The more she thought the more her headache grew. The Hargreeves could apparently get weirder.

"So what are you saying?" Luther asked in disbelief. "Youre fifty eight?"

"No," he glared at his brothers. "My consciousness is fifty eight. Apparently my body is now thirteen again." He bit into his sandwich. An odd part of her believed it simply because she'd seen and heard much stranger things in her life.

"How does that even work?" Allison wondered outloud. Honestly, florence was thinking the same.

"Dolores kept saying the equations were off..." he muttered to himself. "Bet she's laughing now."

"Dolores?" Vanya asked softly.

He ignored her and Florence heart the rustle of a newspaper before Five commented dryly, "huh, guess I missed the funeral."

"Howd you know about that?" Luther asked, suspicious.

She rolled her eyes at his stupidity, but knew this was nothing new.

"What part of the future do you not understand?" He retorts, munching on his sandwich.

Florence is lost in deep thought and freezes when his eyes shoot to her again. "So who's she?"