CHAPTER TWELVE

It must have been a peculiar sight when the two walked into the diner, hands in their pockets and about a foot apart, the woman with her head down.

The boy had on a pair of shorts and a blazer, both blue and emblazoned with the academy logo - to an outsider he looked just like a school boy.

The woman with messy curly hair had on a black jacket that went to her ankles over dark clothes and her boots.
The whole car ride Florence had tried to tune out the rumble of the engine and the fact that she was letting someone who looked thirteen drive her somewhere. Every turn he took was a little too sharp, every brake a little too fast and when they parked she wondered where he had learnt to drive.

Though they entered the establishment together, they both decided to sit a seat apart from eachother. Florence felt awkward, hunching forwards while hyper aware of keeping her wings entirely still beneath her jacket.

Five couldnt help but glance at her out of the corner of his eye; she looked out of place, uncomfortable. He couldnt even imagine what it felt like trying to hide a set of wings every time she left the house. It all sounded exhausting when he gave it some thought and slolwy he came to the conclusion that her demeanor made sense now.

With the others she was defensive, confident and hid her emotions well. Now she just looked anxious and drained.

"Im not disturbing your peace or anything by being here?" She asked hesitantly, waiting for them to be served so she could leave as soon as possible.

He furrowed his eyebrows slightly. "What?"

She shrugs, looking away. "I just figured you've had a long... couple of years," she grimaced at her wording. "You probably don't want me here. If I was in your shoes I'd want some peace and quiet."

He watches her stoically and she still doesn't look at him, picking the skin around her nails anxiously.

"This is the most peace and quiet I've had since I got back," he chooses his words carefully. "Ill take what I can get."

She nods, looking down, opting to stay silent. She understood what he was saying to an extent. Hearing footsteps, she wasnt surprised when the bell above the door rang and a man sat to their left. A woman in her pink uniform stepped out and smiled, notebook ready.

"Sorry, sink was clogged. What can i get ya?" Her eyes swept over the three customers.

"Get me a chocolate éclair." The man requested.

She smiled, noting the woman and the boy, eyes going to the woman. "Can I get the kid a glass of milk or something?"

Florence bit her lip to stop the laugh that bubbled up in her chest, shooting a look at the boy next to her who looked less than pleased. He interlocked his fingers on the counter and smiled blankly.

"The kid wants coffee. Black."

Florence caught the surprised look on the womans face and looked down.

"Cute kid of yours," the waitress commented lightly, turning to her. Florence widened her eyes and realised she was talking to her, mouth opening to protest when she was cut off. "What about you?"

The sole reason she had left the house ran circles in her mind and she straightened. "Uh, kids vanilla milkshake. To go, please."

She nodded yet eyed them curiously before leaving to sort the orders.
Five was already looking at her when she shot him a disturbed look. He looked as appalled at the thought of having her as a mother, as she did at having him as a son. What the fuck?

When their orders arrived, Florence gave a blank smile and thanked the woman even though she pointedly put the coffee in front of her and the milkshake in front of him. Five went straight for his coffee mug and she reached over to slide the milkshake towards her. The man offered to pay for them both before he left and Florence listened to the sound of his tapping footsteps as he left, got in his car and started the engine.