CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Florence was walking towards the music hall to meet with Vanya - her hands in her pockets as she walked with her coat swaying by her ankles.

She peered over heads of the people milling about in the street to see if she could see her from a distance. She weaved through people and tried not to shrink away from the man speaking loudly on the phone right by her ear.

Finally Florence spotted her walking down the steps of the building, a dejected look on her face and hands in her pockets.

They locked eyes and she was given a half hearted smile. Florence waited for her to get to where she was standing before linking their arms and pulling her in the direction of their favourite cafe.

"What happened?" She asked knowingly.

"What do you mean?"

"Why aren't you smiling? You always smile with me." She joked, nudging her lightly with her wing trapped under her coat.

Vanya breathed a laugh and rested her head on Florences shoulder. Their walk slowed to a comfortable pace - she knew immediately where they were headed as her friend often frequented the cafe with her after class.

It seriously meant something to her because her increased sensitivity to sound, light and smells made her shut down a bit, mentally. It was like having headphones on with the volume turned up when she walked in public - the chattering, the phone calls, the footsteps, the car horns and engines - it was inescapable; the main reason she rarely left the house.

The smell of car fumes gave her headaches, the food stalls and restaurants made her feel sick to her stomach.

Bright lights, especially at night, made her dizzy.

But when Vanya was in question, Florence wouldn't hesitate to put herself in some kind of discomfort if it meant her and Vanya could spend some time together.

With the possibility of the world ending, it meant a lot more to the both of them.

"I just... would have liked to have got first chair," she admits quietly. "But its fine, the girl whos in line for it is out of this world and, you know, it just means I need to keep practicing."

She seemed to try and brush the situation off, but Florence frowned.

"You're fucking amazing, Vanya, shut up." She tried to convince her of the image Florence herself saw Vanya in. "You have to have confidence in yourself."

They rounded the corner and approached the small cafe. She caught their reflection in the window and was a bit more relaxed at seeing only two other people inside - which made sense, the space was cosy and small. Florence held the door for Vanya and she looked back as she walked in.

"I dont need confidence in myself, you've got enough for me." She gave her a sly smile. "Isn't that what you always say?"

Florence nods as they choose a table by the window, in the left corner of the establishment.

"That will always be true, V," she slides her bag under the high table and watches her companion slide her coat off and place it on the back of the stool she was going to sit on. Became amused as the girl hopped up onto it and bit her tongue to make a height comment - she was taller, but not by much, so she didnt have much room to joke. She was a pair of chunky heeled boots away from five foot. "But would It kill you to think better of yourself?"

Vanya pressed her lips into a thin line and shrugged.

Florence went to shrug her coat off but caught herself suddenly and felt her cheeks warm, slouching down suddenly, embarrassed. "Shit."