Chapter 25: Crushes

"So your new job, it's cool?" 

I take my eyes off the bag of chips on the rows to look at James.

"Yeah, it's cool. I mostly just serve coffee, I'm still trying to learn how to make them, so they don't trust me to do it alone. Which one do you prefer?"

I hold two bags in the air for him to choose.

"Hm, what do you prefer?"

"James, I asked to know what you want."

"I wouldn't want to choose something you don't want."

"Me neither!" I look at him for a second with serious eyes before laughing.

"The blue one is fine."

"The blue one it is, then." I mumble.

He takes two soda cans before we go to the counter to pay. The lady scanning our stuff looks like me when someone says something so stupid I don't even want to argue. 

"That will be $18,75"

James takes out his wallet and pays. On the way here I tried to be the gentlemen that I am and pay for everything, but he insisted on being the one, and said that 'next time you can, but today it's my turn.' I know he insisted because he pities my situation and shit. I work, I have money! I try to not be mad, we just made up, so no need to make things bad again.

"Enjoy your snack." She directly returns to her phone.

"You too!"

...

Frick! I didn't have the time to think about what I was saying. That's so embarrassing! I push the door of the convenience store while feeling my hand naturally move to my face.

"This will haunt me for the rest of my life," I say under my breath.

Meanwhile, James is laughing hard at me. That idiotic mushroom head.

"It's okay, Thomas, it happens to everyone." 

How am I supposed to believe him when he's laughing between every word! 

"Go eat poison or something." I walk past him toward the park, but he catches up with me.

"Haha, I'm sorry, Tommy, will you forgive me?" He stands in front of the way with puppy eyes. 

"Of course I forgive yo- No." I won't fall for that trick.

"Aww, come on! You can't say it wasn't at least a tiny bit funny!"

"... Okay, maybe it was a little bit funny, but that doesn't mean you can laugh at me! My ego is hurting right now." I put a hand on my heart, pretending to be sad.

"Your ego's going to be fine. It's too massive to break so easily." I scoff. 

"And yours isn't? Remember that time you tried to show our classmates how to climb a tree and then got stuck and had firefighters coming to take you back do-"

"We don't talk about that." Now it's my turn to laugh.

"Oh, I remember that you said you're working with Hamilton! Is he too annoying?"

"Trying to change the subject, aren't we, Jemmy?"

"Just answer the damn question." He pushes my arm lightly. 

"Okay, okay. Ah, you know, it's fine." I wave my hand in front of my face to show it doesn't really matter.

"But didn't you say he was, and I quote, 'The worse and most annoying person you ever met'?"