Chapter 10: Boredom, an art

I'm bored. I am very bored. I am terrifically, unrealistically, childishly, bored. My dad joined mom in her business thing and I'm alone in the house. Even if I could, James is with his grandma, and Aaron is babysitting his sister and doesn't want me to come to keep him company. So basically, I'm bored. I can play video games or do my homework but I really don't feel like it. Isn't always that way when you're bored? Like, you have things you could do, but you don't feel like doing them.

I look through my contacts and one specific name stands out: Lafayette.

I've been talking to him for some time now. More or less about fashion 'cause he's the only person I can talk about this with. Maybe I can hang out with him? I mean, at this point I could do anything.

PerfectMacaroniking: Hey, Laf'! What's up?

Largebagette: What's up to you too, why do I have the pleasure to have you text me? Fashion crisis?

PerfectMacaroniking: No, I was just wondering what you were doing at the moment

Largebagette: Nothing interesting, why?

PerfectMacaroniking: I'm dead bored, could I hang out with you?

Largebagette: Oui, if you want. Do you know the new pizzeria that just opens?

PerfectMacaroniking: Yes, we meet there? Right now?

Largebagette: If you can, right now would be great

PerfectMacaroniking: Okay! I'm going there, see you soon!

Largebagette: See you!

I get out of my bed and go take a quick shower. After that, I put on an outfit I know I look good in. Then, check if I have everything.

Key? Check.

Wallet? Check.

Phone? Check.

Gums? Check.

I put on my light coat and I'm ready to go!

I'm not a fan of walking alone. I don't like it, it makes me feel self-conscious. I like walking with my friends, the world and the people around you seem so small and meaningless. But when you're alone, it feels like you're exposed for everyone to see. Like you're a vulnerable prey in a jungle of carnivores ready to attack at any moment. I know it's not really true and it's stupid to feel this way but I can't help it.

Some minutes later I enter the little restaurant. There aren't that many people 'cause the evening hasn't started yet. I scan the place. It looks warm and welcoming. Staff asks me I was here for how many people and I respond that they were already there. I walk further to one little corner. What I see displeases me. Lafayette, you bitch!

"Thomas!" Says the said man. Every eye at their table turns to me. I hate when everyone stares at me that way as if I'm an intruder, someone that shouldn't be here.

"You didn't tell me you were with your friends? If I had known I wouldn't have come."

"That is exactly why I didn't tell you. Now come sit." He pats the chair next to him.

I sigh and make my way there. The rest of the revolutionary gang is silent. The only words I can hear is the one their eyes tell me and let me tell you, they aren't very kind. I don't know why Laf' invited me to hang out with his friends. He's so cruel.

"So, 'Laf, you know Jefferson?" Gremlin seems more confused than anyone else.

"Absolument! We met like a week ago, and we exchanged numbers then"

"So, you ask him to come here? With us?"

"Do you have a problem with that, John?"

"Well, it's so rare to have Alexander hang out with us! We don't need someone to destroy our peace."God, this is awkward. The server comes to ask us what we want to drink and I just answer with whatever.

"So, Thomas. What did you do today?"

"Hmm..." Again, they all look at me. I don't want all this attention, Is Laf' this oblivious?

"I didn't do much as I said, I was bored to death. I just did lazy stuff like playing on my phone and things."

"..."

"The teacher I was talking about earlier completely flipped on me, Herc' was there, so I think he can confirm."

"Oh my god, yes! She screamed like I never saw someone scream before. She was like "Get out of my classroom!" and john just like, left!"

They start a random conversation and, I know I said I don't want all this attention but being completely ignored isn't better. I'm here next to them, but they feel so far away. Like they were on another planet, and I was observing them with a telescope. Just admiring the way they laugh about everything and seem so chill. I drink my soda half listening. I don't think I should be here, but I can't leave now, that would be impolite. I can just go to the bathroom to avoid this uncomfortable situation. It's really close and is in a little hallway kinda dark. But when I'm no longer visible I hear them talking about me.

"Seriously, why did you ask him to come, you know we don't like him."

"Yeah, did you do it 'cause you pity him? He doesn't need that! I heard one time he broke the leg of a freshman 'cause they ask him direction."

"He's a bully. He'll only bring drama!" Only Hercules and John speak. I understand why Lafayette isn't speaking but I don't know for gremlin. He doesn't like me either, right? Plus, he's the kind to do a list of all the things he hates about me!

"Guys, he didn't do anything to us personally! And Aaron said he's a very kind friend. We shouldn't put so much judgment. I hung out with him a few times because of a project, and he's really not a bully. He's a bit eccentric but that's it."

It fell silent and for a sec and I thought it was finished, but they didn't stop.

"Still don't like him, we should avoid him."

"Him and his family are the worse. I heard his mother married his father for his money and name."

"So the Jeffersons are all bitches, huh."

That's it, I had enough. I take a five-dollar from my wallet, slam it on the table, take my jacket and leave.

A "wait!" go through my ear but I don't look back. The sun is fading and it's colder outside but I walk slowly. Did I say I didn't like to walk alone? Yeah, well, right now I really need to sit down, so I go to a park not far away from here. There's a lake and a bench unoccupied so that seems perfect. Everything happens so fast so now that the pressure disappears, I feel like an idiot. Why did I ask laf'', a guy who I know is in a group of people who don't like me, to hang out? I should have left the second I saw them. I'm so stupid.

And on a bench, next to a cute little lake, with the sun fading in the distance, I cry for the first time in a century.