027. Absolute Power

Part One / Chapter Twenty-Seven

Sunday morning greeted Hogwarts with five feet of snow. Many of them piling on jumpers, coats and stockings to keep warm. Venus heard the gleeful shouts emitting from outside her dormitory. She ought to get up and oversee them.

Naturally, Constance hadn't woken up. Her soft snoring had became like music that brought Venus out of her slumber every morning. Venus pushed a hat over her curls and a stacked long sleeved shirt, jumper and coat hoping it would keep her warm. She shut the dormitory door softly and skipped down the spiral staircase. More Gryffindor students rushed out of the portrait hole to play in the snow. The only two sat in the common room were Harry and Ron.

       "Your homework pile is higher than Mount Everest," Venus gawked at the amount of work they left to do at the last minute. Ron gave her a wow-i-didn't-notice glare.

       Venus sighed and held her hand out, "Accio homework," and a folder shot into her hands. She dropped it onto the desk in front of them. Ron was smiling ear to ear. Harry said nothing.

       "You are my actual savior, Venus, thank you!" Ron beamed excitedly grabbing her folder to look for answers to his work.

       "You're welcome," she said. Her gaze fixed on Harry who had yet to speak a word to Venus.

       Fine. Two can play that game, she thought to herself and turned to Ron. She flicked her wand at the binder and grinned.

       "I've bewitched the homework so that only you can see it," Venus said in purposely loud voice. "Okay, bye Ron."

       Before Venus could close the portrait, Angelina Johnson stood before her and asked, "you helped Ron practice for Quidditch, correct?"

       "Er — yeah." She answered. Angelina scared her a bit, she did not want to get yelled at so she did as she asked.

       "Think you can fill in a Beater position?" said Angelina wishfully.

       "Me? A beater?" Venus yelped. "I don't think I can."

       "Well, let me know if you change your mind." Angelina smiled and paraded off with Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet.

       That Monday morning, Venus couldn't stop thinking about Angelina's offer the day before. All Constance could do was complain about the cold as they plowed through the snow toward Hagrid's hut. No clump of pink clutching a clipboard was in sight, and Venus felt a knot unravel in her stomach.

      "I cannot believe they have us outside like we're fucking penguins," Constance continued to grumble, both of her legs soaked from foot to knee with snow.

       "Why didn't you wear your snow boots?" Venus asked.

       "Because my gran just sent me these really cute Chanel ones," Constance whimpered looking down at her feet that were devoured in mounds of snow, "and now they're ruined!"