064. Stairway To Heaven

Part Three / Chapter Sixty Four

The early morning of July thirty-first was misty.

The sun had not risen yet and Venus had just realized she was sitting back on the damp grass. She cursed at herself and failed to dry her wet pajama pants. Behind her, the Burrow slowly began to come to life and she quickly entered the sitting room again. Harry, Hermione and Ron were at the table, assumingely wishing Harry a happy seventeenth birthday. She put on her best poker face and sat beside Harry in the table, giving him a peck on the cheek and saying, "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks." He smiled, placing down a razor on the table.

Venus furrowed her eyebrows. "Enchanted razor? For what beard?" She teased. Harry scowled. "I'm only pulling your tail. I've got you a present as well."

"You didn't have to get me anything."

"Of course I did." Venus smiled, quietly thanking Mrs. Weasley who'd just served her a plate of eggs.

"I hope it wasn't too expensive." Harry said, grabbing a piece of toast from the center of the table.

"Oh I didn't buy it." Venus shared. "You'll find out later tonight."

Ron was listening in on their conversation, watching them both with narrowed eyes. Then, his eyes widened as if he'd just found the last piece of the puzzle. He looked from Venus and back to Harry, who was giving him a confused scowl. The redhead smiled and put two thumbs up.

Hermione had already caught on to Ron, hitting him in the shoulder and scolded, "Oh don't be disgusting, Ronald."

Ron scowled, rubbing his shoulder and eating his breakfast angrily. There was a distinct pop from outside and the door flung open. Constance stood at the doorway, a long wrapped present in her hands and some leaves caught in her hair.

"I know you didn't think you were going to have a birthday party without me, Henry."

She pulled a leaf out of her hair and handed him the gift wrapped box. Harry held it solemnly in his hands.

"Well... open it!" Constance insisted.

He did as he was told and ripped the gift paper off, sliding the top of the box off. It was a broom, it looked ancient.

"That is—"

"Steel McCallister's Broom!" Ron cut Constance off before she could finish, he fell to his knees and gently tapped the exterior of the broom, too scared to actually hold it in fear of breaking it. "Where did you get this, Constance?"

"A friend of my Aunts enchanted objects sale." She said fondly, taking a seat on the other side of Venus. "Neat, isn't it?"

Ron practically squealed. "It's more than neat. It's— it's—"