061. Universal Law

Part Three / Chapter Sixty-One

Venus learned two things that summer of 1997. . . boys are useless.

It all started with a question from Constance's mouth the first week of their summer vacation, "what if we could make a spell that affects angels, that would be cool, yeah?"

She had no idea that Venus took it seriously until she found herself standing in the Tonks' backyard with Venus and Hermione. Dozens of spell-making books and textbooks about angels scattered on the patio table with sheets of paper with written and crossed out spells. Venus even called in Castiel and Corinne as their, with no better word for it, guinea pigs.

At attempts of getting the boys to help, they didn't budge. Ron, per usual, was being a lazy prick refusing to do anything that related to school during the summer. Harry's situation was much more grave considering he had to endure the Dursley's harsh implications from magic, but when Venus tried to fly over and discuss the spell-work with him, she'd always find herself kissing him, hugging him or focusing on anything else besides the spells. Nonetheless, Ron and Harry were strictly out of the picture for their experiments.

"Should we create like an Angel equivalent of a stupefy spell?" Hermione suggested, flipping through pages of scribbled down notes in her notebook.

Venus sighed. "Angels would recover too quickly."

"How about Petrificus Totalus?"

"Wouldn't work."

Hermione huffed from frustration. "Why not?"

"They'd be able to break free in milliseconds," Venus sighed at Hermione's puzzled expression. "They're cosmic beings, not humans like us. It wouldn't work."

An auburn colored owl in the sky zoomed down at the girls. The letter nestled in its feet swooped down over Constance's head and dropped the letter in front of her. Within a second, the envelope was torn open and she dwelled gushingly over the piece of parchment inside.

"Who is it?" asked Venus, momentarily looking away from her notes.

"My aunt," Constance replied, "but I'm mostly looking forward to hearing about Corey."

Now Hermione looked away from her notes, eyebrows furrowed and face flustering a bright pink. Venus tried her best to hid the grin on her face.

"Who's Corey?" Hermione asked, slightly more red-faced.

"Corey. . ." Venus said looking quite bashful between the two girls beside her, "is Constance's bunny rabbit."

Constance shoved a small photograph in Hermione's face. It was of a black rabbit and a carrot stick laid on the ground beside him.

"He's so cute, isn't he?" she asked, holding the photograph back and forth between Venus and Hermione, who looked utterly relieved. "I thought bunnies liked carrots but he didn't even touch it, sometimes I question if he's a bunny or not."