031. A Single Cry On Christmas

Part One / Chapter Thirty-One

Venus felt herself rock front, back, left, right, and sideways as she sat on the train on their way back to Grimmauld Place. Harry hadn't said anything to them ever since they eavesdropped on the adults conversation in St. Mungo's. She sat in between Tonks and Constance, who was playing a game with the Twins.

"Mum and Dad said you can stay at Sirius' for Christmas," whispered Tonks indirectly into Venus' ear.

Venus raised her eyebrows and Tonks continued, "Your friends are already here and your trunk and me, so might as well."

Venus stepped one foot inside 12 Grimmauld Place and was bombarded with boxes of Christmas decorations by Sirius; who sported a Santa Claus hat on his unkept mane. Alongside everyone, she spent the rest of the morning putting decorations on every corner of the house. She'd never seen Sirius look so cheerful, he wore a bright smile the entire day and so did Venus. It wasn't until she noticed Harry hadn't come down that her grin faded.

"When Mum told Ron who Santa was he hid under Charlie's bed for the entire night," George said, hiding a grin under his hand.

Ron looked horrifyingly toward Constance. "I did not!"

"That's adorable," Constance laughed, she began untangling a string of fairy lights from a box near her.

"Oh — er — I mean, if you say so," Ron's horror-stricken expression changed into a smirk.

"I'm kidding, it's pathetic," Constance handed one end of the fairy lights to Ginny and walked away toward the tree.

Ron scratched the back of his neck nervously and Venus patted him encouragingly on the back.

"Ron, go tell Harry that dinners ready!" Mrs. Weasley shouted from the kitchens.

But Ron hesitated.

"He's not going to bite you, Ron," said Venus, her voice ranging between playful and serious. "I'll go tell him." A few moments later, Venus was standing outside of the door of the room Ron and Harry shared. She knocked, but there was no answer. "Harry?" Again, no response. Venus slowly turned the doorknob and the creaks echoed throughout the corridor. She poked her head inside the room and could make out the sleeping silhouette of Harry on the bed farthest from the door. "Harry, are you sleeping or acting like it so you don't have to speak to anyone?"

He didn't respond, but his chest stopped rising, she reckoned he was holding his breath. Venus walked over and sat beside him.

"I heard a voice in my head telling me that Arthur was going to die," Venus stated. "Crazy right?" Venus sighed. "It was like I was transported inside my own head and when I come to, no time had passed." Harry didn't move. "I just want you to know that you don't have to abandon us because you're afraid. We're all afraid, but it's better to be scared together than to battle your demons on your own. That's a fight you'll lose without an army."