054. Trouble In Paradise

Part Two / Chapter Fifty-Four

Over the next week, Venus read book after book about angels, she could conduct a seminar solely on all of the information she was taking in. She was so consumed in her research that Constance could barely grasp her attention as she made a friendship bracelet. "Hey!" she said, snapping her fingers, at last, Venus looked up from her book. "You haven't started your bracelet."

       "I just really have to finish this chapter," said Venus, flipping to the next page of her book.

       "You said that two chapters ago," sighed Constance.

       "I'm just not in the mood to make stupid friendship bracelets!" Venus snapped.

       "Y'know Venus, this past week you've been so caught up in those bloody books, you don't even talk to me," Constance said angrily, shooting up from her chair. Venus did the same. "You're being so uptight and difficult, it's tiring!"

       "Sorry I'm making my time useful," grumbled Venus, holding up her book.

       Constance snatched the book out of her hands. "Oh get off it!" she shrieked.

       "Just go if I'm so difficult to be around," she said lowly, taking the book back.

       Constance's face softened. "Fine," she said softly, pushing past Venus and stomping up the stairs.

       She crossed her arms and didn't turn around, but when she had, Constance was already gone. Regret swept over her like a tidal wave crashing onto land.

       "Trouble in paradise?" asked Ron from across the common room.

       "Not now, Ron," she said glumly, taking a seat next to Harry on the couch.

       "Have you two got into a row?" he asked again, staring hard at his parchment.

       "No," Venus said sarcastically, falling into a pillow. Harry patted her back, at attempt of trying to comfort her.

       "How d'you spell 'belligerent'?" said Ron, shaking his quill very hard while staring at his parchment. "It can't be B — U — L —"

       "No, it isn't," said Hermione, pulling Ron's essay toward her. "You are so tactless."

       Ron didn't pay any mind.

       "And 'augury' doesn't begin O — R — G either. What kind of quill are you using?" she continued.

       "It's one of Fred and George's Spell-Check ones . . . but I think the charm must be wearing off. . . ."

       "Yes, it must," said Hermione, pointing at the title of his essay, "because we were asked how we'd deal with dementors, not 'Dug-bogs,' and I don't remember you changing your name to 'Roonil Wazlib' either."