047. House Of Cards

Part Two / Chapter Forty-Seven

Harry looked around the Great Hall waiting for Venus and Constance to appear, but they never did. The two best friends hadn't arrived at Breakfast that morning. Seemingly, only Harry and Ron seemed to notice their absence. Hermione looked as if she already knew where the girls had wandered off to, not curious as to where they'd went.

"Wonder why they didn't come," said Ron, skimming the Gryffindor table one more time. "Ginny isn't here either."

Hermione simply shrugged as she flipped through the pages of her copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Yeah." Harry said, looking back at the entrance, hoping to see a head of curly hair appear. They never did.

When they left the Gryffindor table five minutes later to head down to the Quidditch pitch, they passed Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. Surprisingly, when Ron drew level with them, Parvati suddenly nudged Lavender, who looked around and gave Ron a wide smile. Ron blinked at her, then returned the smile uncertainly. His walk instantly became something more like a strut.

Hermione, however, looked cold and distant all the way down to the stadium through the cool, misty drizzle, and departed to find a place in the stands without wishing Ron good luck. Constance was sat atop the stands, looking down with a bright smile on her face. Venus wasn't with her either. Harry turned away and the tremendous amount of students coming to try out and began.

The first group was made up of first years who could barely stay up on their brooms. One managed but slammed against a goal post right after.

The second group was comprised of ten of the silliest girls Harry had ever encountered, who, when he blew his whistle, merely fell about giggling and clutching one another. Romilda Vane was amongst them.

The third group had a nasty pileup halfway around the pitch.

Most of the fourth group had come without broomsticks.

The fifth group were Hufflepuffs.

"If there's anyone else here who's not from Gryffindor," roared Harry, who was starting to get seriously annoyed, "leave now, please!"

Many of the people that'd attended cleared out revealing Ginny Weasley and a vibrant Venus Rosario by her side in Quidditch uniform. Harry stared at her dumbfounded. Ginny's voice broke his trance. "Let's play Quidditch, shall we?" she said enthusiastically, giving Harry a punch in the shoulder. Venus followed her and gave him a small smile.