Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Cost of a Wish

Cygnet’s choker beeped in warning as she and Volpina clashed - Volpina taking advantage of the swan heroine’s momentary distraction as she landed a kick to her side.

“Don’t hold back, Emma.” She teased. “Unless you really are just that weak and pitiful.”

Cygnet gave Volpina a crooked grin. “You wish, Lila.”

With a graceful leap, she was off the ground as the two continued to fight - exchanging kicks and punches, both landing some, but no one seemed to overpower the other.

But then, Volpina growled as Cygnet managed to get in a punch, wiping the corner of her mouth with ease. “I should’ve just killed you that day when I had the chance.” Volpina snarled, then lunged, trapping Cygnet’s wrists as she forcibly yanked Cygnet’s arms behind her back, causing the heroine to wince as she struggled. “Luckily, now I can amend my mistake.”

In a last-minute attempt to escape, Cygnet allowed herself to drop - using all of her weight to her advantage as she forced Volpina to fall with her before stealthily flipping away from Volpina’s fallen form.

“How’s that for ‘weak and pitiful’?” Cygnet deadpanned, when a muffled scream caught her attention, and she whipped around to see Ladybug being held down by Mayura, who took quick work in removing her miraculous as she was transformed back into everyday Marinette. “Mom!” Cygnet exclaimed in alarm, but then a blinding pain came from the back of her skull as bright lights exploded across her vision, and her knees buckled as she fell.

“You shouldn’t have let your guard down,” Volpina chastised her, and Cygnet could see multiple versions of her tapping their opposite hand with flutes as her voice faded in and out of focus.

She gritted her teeth as she attempted to stand, but her legs trembled underneath her as her head whirled, and it took all of her strength not to collapse right then and there. Dad! Cygnet reminded herself as she tried searching for him over the blinding lights and blurry vision. He can still get the butterfly miraculous.

But on cue, she finally found her father, held in Hawkmoth’s grasp as his ring was ripped from his finger.

No!” Marinette’s exclamation was deafening as Adrien was thrown to the ground beside her.

They had failed.

 “Yes. You have.” Hawkmoth mused, making Cygnet realize she had said the words allowed.

It was in slow motion, that Mayura walked over to him - and only then, that she realized that Mayura was only a sentimonster as the Ladybug earrings fell into his open palm, and a white feather floated peacefully away.

“Tikki, Plagg, unify.” He commanded, and the kwami’s closed their eyes in resignation as they were forced into the miraculouses, and Hawkmoth’s magenta ensemble transformed a gleaming gold.

“Hawkmoth - what should we do with them now?” Volpina mused evilly as she walked to his side - her shamrock eyes glittering with malice. “Do we drop them from the eiffel tower? Drown them in the Seine?”

No.” His voice was firm. Hawkmoth’s eyes went back to Marinette and Adrien who sat together a few feet in front of her - fingers entwined as they faced him boldly in noble determination. “I have never killed anyone before, despite my reputation, and I will not begin now - never my own flesh and blood.”

“I’m not your anything.” Adrien retorted. “Not anymore.”

Hawkmoth’s gaze softened, and he looked away from Adrien’s eyes. “You may be angry with me now, but I’m doing this for you, Adrien.”

The long white case at the end of the garden suddenly opened, revealing…

Mom?” Adrien asked in a mixture of both surprise and horror as Marinette gasped - lifting a hand to her mouth. “No! You can’t do this! The wish - for it to be granted, you have to sacrifice something in return!”

“As I’m well aware. And I’m ready to pay it - whatever it takes.” Hawkmoth stepped closer to Emilie, taking a lock of her golden hair in his fingers as he tucked it gently behind her ear, caressing her face. “Forgive me, my son.”  He whispered, closing his eyes as a tear fell down his cheek. “I wish for my wife to be returned to me.”

“NO!” Adrien roared.

No!” Marinette cried out in alarm.

But it was too late - Hawkmoth had made his wish.

But at what cost?