Chapter Eight: Good Hero-ing

“Oh my god, Cia! Why are my parents so...so oblivious?” Emma complained. They were back in her studio apartment, and Emma was laying across her bed - pondering life. It had been another long week of trying to get her parents together - and they were not making it easy on her.

Oh, she’s just a friend,” Emma mocked, making hand movements. She groaned again. “It’s like a freaking love square! And since there hasn’t been any akuma attacks, it’s not like I’ve been able to talk to them in superhero form-”

The two of them suddenly heard a scream, and looked out the window to see an akumatized victim.

“I’M GIRL ORPHAN AND I’M GOING TO FIND MY PARENTS!!”

“You spoke too soon!” Cia exclaimed as Emma stared at the window and narrowed her eyes.

“Cia, spread my wings!”

- - -

"It’s nice to see you again!” Cat Noir said with a smirk as Ladybug grinned. “Was my kitty lonely without me?” She countered with her own smile as the two suddenly broke apart from each other as a blast was shot at them from the distance.

“Ladybug! Cat Noir! Give me your miraculouses!” Girl Orphan screamed - shooting another beam from her bracelet. Ladybug gasped as the beam hit a parisian man behind her, and he turned into a skeleton who stood up straight in a salute. Ladybug gasped as Girl Orphan shot more beams - turning all the parisians surrounding them into her own personal skeleton army as they circled around Ladybug and Cat Noir.

“Er..Ladybug? Maybe now’s a good time to use that Lucky Charm?” Chat suggested as they pressed their backs together as the circle around them got tighter. “Lucky Charm!” Ladybug exclaimed, and a black choker appeared in her hand. Ladybug scowled, throwing the choker to the ground. “We need Cygnet,” She said as Cat Noir narrowed his eyes.

“How do we get her if she isn’t here?” He broke in. From the outside of the circle, Girl Orphan was laughing. “Give me your miraculous, so I can go to the underworld with my skeletons and free my parents!”

“Not on my watch!” All of their heads suddenly turned to the building, where Cygnet stood upon. She was smiling smugly, her hands on her hips.

A new superhero? But she holds that black swan miraculous - no one has been able to use it for years! But the last time I checked, the choker was still in my vault! Hawk Moth wondered aloud. He activated his line with Girl Orphan once again. “Girl Orphan! Find out where Cygnet received this miraculous from!”

“As you wish, Hawk Moth,” Girl Orphan said, the outline of a butterfly across her face. She turned to Cygnet as the outline faded. “Give me your miraculous, Cygnet! You’ve taken something that doesn’t belong to you!” Girl Orphan exclaimed. Cygnet smirked. “If you want it, you’re going to have to catch me first!”

While Cygnet ran around them in circles, Girl Orphan growled. “Skeleton soldiers! Catch Cygnet immediately! I’ll deal with the bug and the cat,” She hissed as the soldier nodded, and set off after Cygnet.

“Come on, Boneheads!” Cygnet taunted with a smile as she leaped away from Ladybug and Cat Noir. She glanced behind herself to make sure the skeletons were still following her and then looked back in front of her - smirking as she locked eyes with her destination - the Seine.

With no more alarm than the tensing of her muscles, she performed a grand jete over the river - the skeleton soldiers all jumping into the river instead. “Sorry. You guys will just have to stay there until Ladybug purifies the akuma. Er...have fun swimming!” She exclaimed to the skeletons as she ran back to where she had left Ladybug in the first place.

- - -

“Girl Orphan, please! You don’t have to do this anymore - we can help you!” Ladybug exclaimed - swirling her yoyo to make a shield between herself and the akuma. Girl Orphan chuckled. “Why should I listen to you, Ladybug. You weren’t there to save my parents!” The fight began.

“Cat Noir! The akuma - I bet you anything it’s in her bracelet!” Ladybug exclaimed - dodging another beam as Cat Noir nodded, trying to sneak behind Girl Orphan but she heard him and fired another beam, causing her to step back.

“Hey!” Cygnet exclaimed - jumping in with a kick that Girl Orphan dodged. And then Cygnet joined in the fight. The three heroes stood facing Girl Orphan, who smiled evilly at them. Ladybug narrowed her eyes - the plan finally forming together. “Cygnet, use your power!” She announced. Cygnet nodded.

“Swan song!” Cygnet shouted, holding her ocarina to her lips as she began to play a melody. Orphan Girl suddenly wore a dreamy smile on her face as she slumped - entranced by the music. “Cat Noir! Now!” Ladybug ordered.

“Cataclysm!” Cat Noir shouted - racing to the distracted akuma and ripped the bracelet off of her arm - turning it into ashes. Ladybug held up the lucky charm. “Miraculous Ladybug!” She shouted, throwing it into the air as all of the damages caused by the akuma went away.

“Pound it!” She exclaimed, holding her fist to Cat Noir’s - but their hands didn’t touch. They looked up at Cygnet, who was awkwardly standing to the side. Cat smiled. “Come on, Swan Girl! You’re part of the team now!” With a smile, Cygnet joined in the three-way fist bump.

The three heroes looked down at the now de-akumatized girl who had her head buried in her hands. Cat Noir and Ladybug’s hands flew to their miraculouses as they beeped, looking back at Cygnet for an answer. The pink-haired heroine gave them a smile. “I got this,” She said softly, and Ladybug and Cat Noir both nodded before leaping away.

Cygnet knelt down next to the brunette - who was sobbing into her hands. “I’m...I’m so sorry I got akumatized! I just found out that my parents died today, and I got so…” She sobbed again. Cygnet smiled, putting a hand on the girl’s shoulder. “You have nothing to be sorry for. Believe me, losing people hurts. There’s nothing to be ashamed of,” She said - wishing she could take her own advice.

The girl sniffled, looking up at Cygnet with teary eyes. “Does….does it get better? The pain?” She whispered. Cygnet smiled sadly. “It..it takes a little while, but grief isn’t supposed to be a speedy process. There’ll be days where you feel like you’ve hit rock bottom, but the most important thing to remember is that you have friends to pull you through these difficult times, and they’ll be there for you when your parents can’t,” She finished softly. The girl sniffled, but smiled. “Thank you. You’re the best hero ever,” She said, causing Cygnet to smile as the girl wrapped Cygnet into a warm embrace.

What do you know?’ Cygnet thought to herself with a smile. ‘Maybe I can do this ‘hero’ thing after all.