Chapter Thirteen: A Little Walk

Emma let out an irritated grunt of frustration as she grabbed a bunch of toilet paper and began wiping the blood from her nose. The nosebleeds were getting worse, and now instead of just a nosebleed, she would get killer migraines, and sometimes blood would stream out of her eyes like tears.

“The episodes are getting worse, Cia,” Emma said - taking deep breaths as she threw away the bloodied tissues and rinsed her face with water to try and calm her nerves. “Nothing’s happening. They’re still stuck between Luka and Kagami.”

“Nothing is happening yet,” Cia corrected her with an encouraging smile. “Remember what Bunnyx said. Love can’t be forced - it’s patient.” Emma groaned as she sunk down onto the bathroom tiles. “Can I tell ‘Love’ to hurry up so I don’t break in half?” She joked half-heartedly. Cia gave her holder a sad smile, putting a small hand on Emma’s shoulder.

A knock suddenly came from the front door of her apartment as Emma sighed - combing the hair from her face. “Coming!” She said as she slowly pulled herself from the ground. She looked back at Cia. “Who do you think it is?” She whispered as Cia shrugged, flying out of sight.

Emma walked to her front door and opened it to reveal a startled Marinette. “Mo-Marinette!” Emma practically screamed in surprise. “W-what are you doing here? How did you even find my address?” Marinette shrugged, looking nonchalant, but she was looking behind Emma to take in her small studio apartment.

“I followed you home from the bakery when you ordered your camembert cheese and macarons,” She simply said, and Emma’s eyes widened. “You were...stalking me?” Marinette flushed, but nodded. “It was for a good cause!” She defended herself, then stuck her head inside Emma’s apartment.

“I know you said that your parents were never around, but they don’t even look like they live here. Do you..live by yourself?” Marinette’s face paled as she stood straight. “Emma! You’re only fourteen years old! Fourteen year olds can’t live by themselves!”

Emma sighed, grabbing her small knapsack that she knew Cia would jump into behind Marinette’s back. “Come on,” She said. “Let’s take a little walk,”

- - -

The two girls began to walk around Paris under the light of the setting sun, painting the sky a myriad of different colors.

“So…” Marinette awkwardly began, touching the tips of her fingers together. “When did you start living by yourself? What happened to your parents?”

Emma sighed, biting her lip as she tried to come up with an explanation. She had never prepared for Marinette to find out where she was living, let alone that she was currently living by herself with no adults.

“Well,” She began. “I didn’t always live by myself. My parents are in the French Armed Forces” She lied, thinking of how her parents technically did fight crime, but not in the way Marinette was thinking. “I already technically lived by myself for months at a time while they were away. So when they were assigned to be away for around two years, they decided to just get me my own apartment since there was no one else to take care of me.”

“Wow,” Marinette said after a few moments. She looked at Emma - her eyes full of sympathy. “That’s hard. I couldn’t imagine being away from my parents for a few weeks, let alone a few years. Do you talk to them?”

“No. Not really,” She admitted, and for the first time since she had gone to the Paris of the past, she wondered how her parents were doing without her around. “It’s okay though,” She admitted. “My parents and I haven’t really talked since my brother died,” Her voice died in her throat.

That was one of the hardest truths she’d ever said to her past parents. What wouldn’t she give to have him back? And while it was still too painful to speak about Louis, her parent's language was mostly spoken through hugs. Actions were greater than words.

Marinette’s eyes saddened. “What was his name?” She asked softly. Emma coughed to get the tightness out of her throat - though she could feel the tears welling up behind her eyes. “Louis,” She breathed with a small laugh. “He was the best. He taught me pretty much everything. How to have fun and let loose - to be myself.”

“He’s sounded like a good person. I wish I could’ve met him,” Marinette said kindly. “You will,” Emma whispered to herself under her breath. Emma smiled with a sigh. “But enough about my sad, depressing life. What’s going on with your little love dilemma?” She asked as Marinette sighed, shaking her head.

“Honestly? Boys are the last thing on my mind right now. I’m so busy with being Lady-er...schoolwork,” She corrected herself. Emma nodded - pretending not to notice Marinette’s little slip-up.

“Marinette!” The two girls suddenly heard, looking behind them to see Luka running up to them. “Looks like you’ll have to decide sooner than you thought you did,” Emma said with a smile, but on the inside, her stomach was twisting.

It wasn’t that she didn’t like Luka - in the future, he was her uncle, and the man who had taught her brother how to play guitar. (Her parents being the ones to insist that they all knew how to play at least one instrument. Emma had chosen the ocarina, Hugo the trombone, and Louis the guitar.)

“Hi Luka!” She said with a smile. “Marinette,” He repeated, only noticing Emma there after a few seconds. “Oh, and hello to you too, Emma,” He greeted as Emma smiled politely. “What are you doing here?” Marinette asked as he shrugged, pointing to his motorbike that was parked a few streets away.

“Earning a few extra euros,” He shrugged. He smiled at Marinette. “I was wondering if you’d like to hang out with me this Friday. I can finally show you the melody I’ve been working on,”

“Friday?” Marinette asked apprehensively. “Like..like a date?” She squeaked. Luka nodded.

“Sure,” Marinette chirped nervously.

That was the last thing Emma heard before it turned black.