Chapter Thirty-Two: Loveless

It was like the world was folding in on her - collapsing down and trapping her under, squeezing her lungs with such a strength, it was difficult to breathe.

Her parents should’ve never been looking at her in the way they looked at her now - their eyes filled with emotions she had never noticed before: surprise, confusion, betrayal. And then there was the underlying hurt that tore Emma’s heart in two.

“That’s the reason you knew that song…” Ladybug breathed in realization, looking back up at Cygnet, bluebell eyes glassy. “And that’s why Bunnyx had you come here. Because you were our daughter.”

Cat Noir’s expression was full of hurt, and Cygnet couldn’t bear to meet his eyes. “Why? Why didn’t you tell us? Did you not trust us enough?”

“No, no.” She said quickly, trying hard not to panic.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Cat Noir continued on. “How couldn’t you tell us? We’re supposed to be your partners. I thought we agreed - no more secrets!”

Be calm, Emma. Calm. Imagine you’re back in the studio, just you and the melody and the movement of your limbs.

“And you were just going to leave without telling us who you really were?” Ladybug deadpanned.

“I’m sorry!” She finally exploded, retreating back in a flurry of steps, bringing her hands to her face as the tears began to come down. “I didn’t mean to hurt you! I was...I just needed to be someone else for awhile!”

“Emma-”

“I didn’t want to be broken, little, Emma! I wanted to be free - free of everyone’s expectations just for a little while! Why can’t I do anything? Why can’t I be stronger?!” She cried hysterically as she collapsed to her knees in defeat. “Louis...was right about me.” Cygnet whispered.

In her despair, She didn’t notice the violet akuma that approached her from behind, submerging itself into her vermillion choker.

Suddenly, the outline of a glowing magenta butterfly came over her vision, and a booming voice began to speak. “Hello, Loveless. I’m Hawkmoth.” He said. “Ladybug and Cat Noir - they can’t understand you, but I can give you the power to create people who can - all I ask in return is Ladybug and Cat Noir’s miraculouses.

The hero inside her begged her to fight - to rise up against this evil and prevent the terrible things she could do while succumbed to it. But the human half didn’t want to resist. After all, the future was already saved, and she had nothing left to lose.

The most dangerous people were the ones who had already lost everything.

There’s still so much to look forward to! The little voice inside her head tried to encourage her. Think about Inez and the rest of your friends! Your family! They’re all waiting for you to come back!

But then there was that other voice - the negative one that always loomed above her head - whispering negative thoughts that constantly threatened to pull her under. On her good days, Cygnet was usually able to push the voice to the back of her mind, and even on her bad days, most of the time she was able to resist it with the encouraging words of both her kwami and friends.

But today was her worst.

And so, she stood, her lips quivering with determination as her fists clenched in anger - that balloon of hate, rage, and guilt finally ready to burst.

I’m sorry. Cygnet thought, tucking the best parts of her heart away as her volatile emotions began to take over. Her eyes opened, revealing two pools of complete darkness - the whites of her eyes replaced with black.

“Em-Emma?” A small voice whispered.

“Emma’s gone.” Her crimson lips lifted into a smirk as an inky tear trailed down her cheek. “There’s only...Loveless.”