Chapter One: A First Step

Marinette

“Happy Hero Appreciation Day, Marinette!”

Marinette smiled as her kwami swirled around her in excitement. “Today, all of Paris is celebrating everything you’ve done - you’ve helped so many people!” Tikki exclaimed. She only giggled. “Paris is celebrating what all the heroes have done for Paris, Tikki.” She corrected, pulling on a pair of cat ears in honor of her feline partner. “Besides, right now, I’m just ordinary Marinette Dupain-Cheng.”

“You’re amazing, talented, kind, and generous Marinette Dupain-Cheng.” Tikki correctly sternly. “You put yourself down too often.” She chastised her. Marinette flushed. “There’s just so much to live up to now that I’m the guardian.” Her gaze went to the miraculous box, now disguised as a sewing machine.

Ever since Miracle Queen, Marinette hadn’t been able to give out any miraculouses since Chloe had revealed all of their identities to Hawk Moth. It wasn’t as much of a curse as it was a blessing. Even though it had been a month since Master Fu had lost his memories, she still didn’t want to accept that her mentor was truly gone. Marinette didn’t want to remember how she didn’t have to race to Master Fu’s studio for a miraculous anymore - how there would no longer be someone to turn to for help.

“Cat Noir did offer to reveal identities.” Tikki said, and Marinette’s face glowed bright red as she realized she had said her previous thoughts aloud. “I know, I know. But Master Fu always told me that it was best to keep our identities secret. I can’t afford to be irresponsible now.”

Marinette’s heart clenched. Though she was the one who had talked Cat Noir out of revealing their identities, she had also regretted her words ever since. The burden of having a total secret was heavy, and Master Fu was no longer there to help her carry it. He was the only other than Tikki who knew both sides of her.

“Is that why you aren’t with Luka?” Tikki asked quietly. “Luka and I aren’t together yet.” She corrected her kwami. “I just don’t want to rush into a relationship so soon. Not when I’m still figuring everything out.” Marinette reasoned.

By ‘everything out’, Marinette meant Adrien. Though she kept trying to tell herself that she liked Luka now, whenever she thought of ‘love’ in general, Adrien’s face kept popping into her mind no matter how hard she tried otherwise.

“I just want you to be happy, Marinette.” Tikki said. “You have all these responsibilities now, but in the end, you shouldn’t let them hinder your happiness.”

“I know. And I am happy.” She lied. “I promise.”

- - -

Adrien

Adrien seemed to sigh for the thirteen-hundredth time as he slammed his toothbrush down on the bathroom counter. “Whoa. What’s got your panties in a twist?” Plagg asked lazily, floating into view.

“Ladybug...did she seem...off to you?” He asked. His mind was still focused on their patrol last night - replaying their conversation over and over in attempts to derive the true meaning off it. “All those little comments she made, you know, about life and happiness and stuff. They didn’t seem weird?”

Plagg yawned. “Yeah, I guess.” He only said, chewing down another wheel of camembert. “She’s probably still getting used to being the guardian. You saw how Master Fu lost all of his memories. One day, she’s going to have to go through that too.”