Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Reveal

Plagg

There were not a lot of times in his life that Plagg was utterly mystified and had no clue how to function or what to do next. In the suit, he had heard Ladybug’s update on Emma, but he also knew some information himself, and that whatever was happening to Emma wasn’t the work of any 'damaged miraculous'.

“Tikki, just what do you think you’re doing?” Plagg hissed once he was outside the ring as the two kwami’s floated away to the upper corner of the room in the opposite direction of where their holders sat back to back - their eyes screwed shut. He gestured towards them. “We can see the stasis spell - they don’t have to reveal their identities!”

“That’s the entire point!” She countered, crossing her arms as her tiny eyes narrowed in determination. “You heard what Emma said - the only way to save herself, her brother, and the future was by getting her parents together. But our holders have misinterpreted our words, and now Emma’s suffering. If we get them to reveal their identities and realize who each other are, it might just save her!”

Plagg looked back at Emma thoughtfully. “True love’s kiss - huh?” He looked back at the pomegranate kwami. “You really think a kiss between Marinette and Adrien will save her?”

She nodded tightly. “In these types of conundrums, I’ve never seen a true love’s kiss that never worked. It might just stop the problem entirely.”

“And the Stasis spell?” He questioned.

“As long as Emma’s condition is frozen in time, it won’t move on to her brother, and the future won’t be destroyed.” She reassured him. Plagg nodded grimly. Though he had always known his kid wanted to know who was under Ladybug’s mask, even he knew that their reveal shouldn’t have been like this. It should’ve been under their terms, when they were both finally ready to show the other half of themselves to each other - not rushed and done for the sake of the life of their loved one.

“Let’s do this.” He only said as the two kwami’s floated back to their holders. “Can we open our eyes now?” Adrien asked, hearing the whoosh of Tikki and Plagg’s arrival. “Not yet, Cat Noir!” Marinette said quickly, her voice strained. “Let’s just...open our eyes at the last minute - when we absolutely have to.”

“Let’s get going, kid.” Plagg said, carefully leading his holder to one side of Emma’s bed, Tikki leading Marinette to the other. “So...what exactly do we do again?” Marinette squeaked, fidgeting with her feet.

Plagg and Tikki shared a look, but he only nodded. Though he didn’t agree with deceiving their holders and forcing them to reveal their identities, he also understood that it was Emma’s best chance.

“After 16 seconds pass, that’s when the pendulum will be heading to the center - but you’ll only have around 7 seconds after that to make sure it’s centered exactly.” She said. “Plagg and I will take it from there.”

“What..what can I do?” Plagg and Tikki looked over to see Cia - emerging from her place in the small lotus succulent. He raised an eyebrow. She had always been the most emotional  kwami he had ever known, but her eyes were distant - dull. It confused him.

“The human body usually doesn’t settle well with temporary stasis. She might thrash for a few seconds before the spell puts her under. She might be more comfortable if you’re next to her.” Tikki said thoughtfully. The charcoal kwami simply nodded, flying over to her holder before nuzzling herself in Emma’s neck.

Plagg looked at Tikki once more before letting out a small sigh, stretching out his arms to prepare for the spell. “Ready, sugarcube?” She gave him a smile, nodding her head before she turned to their holders. “Ladybug and Cat Noir?”

“Ready.” Marinette responded, though she sounded uneasy. “Ready.” Adrien replied firmly, though his brows were furrowed.

He turned back to Tikki as they shared a nod before letting a strange, yet familiar melody echo aloud as the kwamis formed a haunting symphony.

The area in between the four of them began to glow in a golden light as a pendulum formed, beginning to swing downwards from its highest point of ark.

Sixteen seconds.

Marinette’s eyes squeezed tighter - every part of her screaming to run.

Thirteen seconds.

Adrien took a steely breath, bringing his hands into fists until his knuckles turned white.

Seven seconds.

The 3 kwami’s shared a look, each of their eyes holding something dangerous - fear, determination, and the most lethal emotion of all, holding the promise of happiness or death: hope.

Zero seconds.

Bluebell eyes met emerald, and each holder was left utterly speechless.