Chapter Twenty: With the Support of a Kwami

“Hold on a second,” Plagg interrupted. “So basically, you want Tikki and I to try to get our holders together?” He asked. Emma only nodded. “That’s the plan.” Plagg groaned. “Ugh. But love is so difficult!” He groaned, leaning back. “What will happen if we don’t get them together again?”

Emma’s eyes narrowed. “First my brother and I will die, and then the future will.” Plagg sat up straighter. “Oh,” He only said, looking up at Emma. “That’s not good.” Tikki facepalmed before flying back up to Emma. “But how are you going to manage this, Emma? Love is a very...very fragile thing,” Tikki warned her. “Someone from the future attempted this to one of my Ladybugs in the past, and the Ladybug and Cat Noir of that time didn’t get together just to prove the future person wrong!”

“Which is exactly why my parents can’t know about my true identity - or else it’ll jeopardize everything. This is something I can’t screw up.” Emma said. “Is this why you passed out the other day?” Tikki asked softly. “Because Marinette said ‘yes’ to a date with Luka?”

Emma shrugged. “More or less. The farther my parents distance themselves, the more my health deteriorates. I can’t imagine Hugo is having a better time in the future.” Emma said softly. Tikki pursed her lips. “Can Plagg and I talk for a second?” She asked as Emma smiled, giving them a nod and seeming calm and patient, but even Plagg could see her hands shaking with anxiety.

The two kwamis flew across her studio apartment and to the highest corner of the ceiling - where they were sure Emma couldn’t hear them. “Should we help her?” Tikki asked - looking concerned. “I mean, if what she says is true, if we don’t help her, Emma’s entire future and life is at stake.” She squeaked.

Plagg fumbled with his ears. “But what can we do, Tikki? I mean, what if we slip up and then our holders find out what’s going on. Emma’s identity would be compromised along and her months here would all be wasted.”

“Plagg, she’s getting worse.” Tikki said sharply. She looked back at Emma, who was chewing nervously on her nails as she stared out the window. “I can sense it. Her health is not what it should be for a fourteen year old girl.” She turned back to Plagg. “If we don’t do something, Emma’s going to pay the price for it, along with our holder’s futures. It’s a risk, but it was also a risk for Emma to come to the past. She needs our help.”

Plagg groaned. “Your sincerity is making me hungry.” He grumbled. Tikki smiled brightly. “So it’s settled. We’ll help her.” She chirped. Plagg nodded. “Why do I always let you talk me into these things.” He mumbled under his breath as they flew back over to Emma, who had been talking with Cia.

“So...what’s the verdict?” Emma asked nervously. “We’ll help you. Just tell us what to do.” Tikki said, and the kwamis saluted her. Cia laughed. “Well, look at that. The almighty Plagg, tamed by a fourteen year old.” She snorted. Plagg gave her a look. “Well, Cia. Long time no see. Pleasure as always.” He greeted her with a grumble.

Tikki squealed happily. “All the kwamis were happy to know that you’re back! They’ve been giving Marinette advice about the Black Swan miraculous.” She explained. Emma’s eyes widened, and she quickly took her phone from her school bag, revealing the time. “Speaking of Black Swan Miraculous, I have an interview with Alya soon.” She said, saying the words as she transformed into Cygnet.

She looked at Tikki and Plagg. “Do you guys know your way back from here?” She asked. The two kwamis nodded in unison, and Emma gave them a smile. “We’ll meet every week on Wednesday at midnight. You should be able to sneak away from your holders by then.” Cygnet said before opening her window, and jumping into the Parisian night.

Plagg looked at Tikki, pointing out the open window where Emma had just been. “She’s definitely Adrien’s daughter. That’s for sure.”