Chapter Five: Mother, Daughter

“I can’t believe I ran off like that!” Emma fumed as she shut her locker. It had been a few weeks since the entire incident where Emma had let her emotions get the better of her. “It’s normal to get emotional, Emma,” Cia reminded her. “It was your brother - and something terrible happened to him,”

“Still, Cia. Mom and Dad trained me to keep my emotions balanced so I would never get akumatized - but they feel like they’re all over the place!” She complained as Emma suddenly heard voices. “Hide Cia!” Emma hissed as a bunch of students came in from class.

“Hey, Emma!” She heard, turning around when she was face-to-face with her Aunt Alya. “Uh..hi! Alya...right?” She feigned. Alya laughed. “Correct! I believe I missed out meeting you the other day, and I just wanted to say ‘hi’ in person,” She said lightly as Emma smiled, because this was the Aunt Alya she knew.

“You...like Ladybug, right?” Emma asked, trying to start conversation as they walked. “Of course! I’m the one who wrote the Ladyblog!” She bragged as Emma smiled. “I’ve seen it! It’s really good!” Emma encouraged her - one of the truths in a web of lies. Ever since she had got to the past, all she had was the apartment Bunnyx had taken care of and food. On the weekends, her time was spent plotting how to get her parents together while the rest of her time was spent in the school library - trying to search for more information that could help with her mission. One of her ‘sources’ was the Ladyblog, which helped with a lot of ‘scoops’ that she could use when she talked with her parents.

“Wow! Thanks!” Alya thanked her with a big smile. “But have you heard of the new superhero?” Alya asked suddenly, a newfound smirk on her face as she showed Emma a picture of Cygnet. “She calls herself Cygnet! I got a photo of her talking with Ladybug and Cat Noir last night!”

“Really? Did you hear what they were saying?” She asked, trying not to sweat. Alya shook her head sadly. “Nope, but I wish. They all looked pretty peeved at each other - and I so wanted to get that scoop,” Alya groaned as Emma laughed, patting Alya on the shoulder. “You’ll get your scoop,” She reassured Alya with one of her smiles.

Emma yelped as Cia suddenly pinched her thigh, and Alya raised an eyebrow, looking concerned. “You okay, Emma?” She asked as Emma nervously laughed. “Yeah...I uh...accidently poked myself with a pencil,” She said, holding up her pencil. “They’re...just so pointy,” She chuckled, smacking herself internally. ‘Great. Now Alya thinks you’re mentally unstable,’ She nervously giggled. “Excuse me for a second,”

She went into the hallway and into the girl’s bathroom when she saw two girls arguing. Her first instinct was to hide behind the sink when she heard their conversation.

“I told you, Marinette. Choose your side. You’re either with me, or against me,”

Mom? She thought in confusion as she stood up to see Lila hovering over Marinette - Marinette looking helpless and frustrated while Lila snarled above her. Emma just stood there in shock for a moment. She wasn’t used to seeing her mother like this - after all, her mom was the all-powerful Ladybug. She narrowed her eyes, regaining her bearings.

“Am I interrupting something?” Emma asked, glaring at Lila. Lila laughed, backing away from Marinette and turning to Emma. “Sorry, Emma. Marinette just took my textbook, but I needed it back for school, but when I asked if she could return it, she did, but she drew all over it in black marker! I can never use it again, and I was just so mad,” Lila said as Emma snorted.

“It sure didn’t look that way. You really need to stop lying. It’s...not a good look on you,” Emma said. Lila growled, putting her face close to Emma. “You’ve just made an enemy today, Emma Bisset.” She glared. Emma wasn’t the slightest bit intimidated. “Well, I certainly didn’t want to make you my friend,”

Lila sniffed, walking out of the bathroom with her nose held high. Emma looked at Marinette, who was sitting on the bathroom tile. Emma sighed, pinching at her thighs as she walked over to Marinette, taking a seat beside her on the floor. “Hey,” She asked lightly. “Are you okay?”

Marinette turned to Emma with a weak smile. “Yeah. Lila just has a gift for making you feel...small,” She sighed. Emma put an arm around Marinette’s shoulders. “Don’t. Lila’s just a bully. I...I had a fair share of bullies at my old school,” Emma said - saying the truth for once. “The trick is...you can’t let them know that they’re winning,”

That’s a trait that Emma thought would make her a good hero - to not let her enemies see her fears and weaknesses. But when she asked her mom if she could join the legion, her Mom had refused, saying that she was ‘too young’ to be a superhero. (“You and Dad were superheroes at my age!”)

Marinette gave Emma a small smile. “Thanks, Emma.” She said. “I really needed that - it’s like no one can see through her lies!” Marinette exclaimed. Emma chuckled. “Yeah, I think my Mom was the person who gave me that gift,” She said - freezing when she realized she almost said too much. Marinette raised her eyebrows. “You always freeze up when you talk about your parents,” Marinette observed as Emma nervously chuckled - scratching the back of her neck nervously. “You see...my parents...they aren’t usually around. It’s...pretty much just me and Cia,” She said - blushing furiously when she realized she said Cia’s name. “....my...pet cat! Yeah. It’s usually just me and my cat,” She corrected herself - chuckling nervously. Marinette put a hand on Emma’s.

“Don’t forget that you aren’t alone, Emma.” She advised her. Emma smiled. “Thanks Mo-Marinette,” She corrected herself hastily. Marinette smiled warmly as she suddenly got an idea. “You know, Emma. My friends Luka, Kagami, Adrien and I are going to this ice cream vendor called Andre’s tomorrow. You should come with us!” She said excitedly.

This was the opportunity she’s been waiting for! So why was there a lump in her throat? Emma swallowed, giving Marinette her best smile. “What time?"