14

I had a month left before the next semester starts. As planned, I submitted my notice to the school board and fortunately they understood my situation quite easily and told me that I will still be a scholar once I come back.

However, for now, I had a shit ton of workloads. The due dates were coming up and since I worked almost all day, my tasks seemed to have piled up. That's why I worked in the convenience store during the night and when morning came I go to the library to continue my tasks, then attend the lectures... After that, I have a job waiting for me... Then the cycle repeats again... And againn... And again...

When lunch time came, I decided to give myself a break and went to the cafeteria to grab some sandwich and a can of coffee. I hoped for a peaceful day but it seemed like heaven didn't hear it because a girl walked up to me with a frown on her face. Her two lackeys trailed behind her and giving me the same vicious glare. "You... Do you know me?" She asked, her words laced very well with venom.

"Uhm.. sorry, but no..." I smiled at her apologetically. But the moment the word no escaped my lips, my cheek was met with a harsh slap. The slap made a sound which caught everyone's attention. Now all eyes were looking at us. I could feel everyone's piercing gaze, looking for something to make any issue out if. They were criticizing me with the looks they were sending and it was faint but I started to hear them start to whisper and come up with ridiculous guesses about the issue in front of them. It was the beginning of a terrible rumor.

"Do you know me?" She asked again.

"... No." I could taste the metallic taste of blood which was gushing from my lip. Her slap was that gard that it broke my skin inside my mouth.

Again, she lift her hand to slap me but unlike the first time, I caught it with mine. "You..." Her eyes narrowed even further. "I'm gonna say this once, bitch. Max is my boyfriend so you better keep your filthy self away from him." She pushed me back harshly.

"I'm not interested in your boyfriend. Stop overreacting." I explained but it only seemed to make her even more angry.

This girl took the rice bowl of this person sitting nearest to us and dumped the contents on me. I was too shocked to move because I didn't know these things do happen in real life. It's stupid. "Really bitch? You should know not to whore around another girl's man. A little birdy told me they saw you two on a date at a pub." She then stopped and looked at everyone in the room. "Attention ladies ... Be careful of this whore or she might steal your boyfriend next."

Suddenly, people were whispering while looking at their phones. "No way... It's true." I heard from someone. "They really were at a pub... They even got in his car together..."

"Wow i didn't expect this from her..."

"And she looked nice too."

"Does she like Max for his money? I heard he bought her shoes and all."

I sighed. I had thought of going viral and receiving a lot of hate from people for being someone's girlfriend. But I didn't expect it'll happen this early... Not only that, I'm being hated on because these people think I stole Max?

"Right, i can't believe all of you go to college to get education and still act this stupid." I said loudly, intending for everyone to hear. "I guess all those years of education didn't work on you people who believe just because you saw photos." I left those words and calmly walked out of the cafeteria and to the lockers.

I wasn't bothered by it. These rumors will surround me for a while but I'm leaving for the next month. The rumors will calm down when they don't see me anymore. But for now, I rummaged my locker for some extra clothes, unfortunately, I remembered I already used it the other day. So I decided to just wash myself in the shower rooms. I would rather get wet than be covered in sticky food.

This day is turning out great. Just great.

I decided to just leave for today and was about to go home but then I remembered I had to stop by the animal rescue center to see the senior dog I liked to adopt. Since unexpected things happened, I had no space for a dog in my apartment... Nor did I have the funds to take care of her while I took care of my siblings. It's sad... She will get euthanized but no one wanted to adopt her.

Without realizing, tears had already been running down my face. I just felt sorry for her. I gave her hope and taking it all back. So in the shower room, I wept quietly.

"There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you!" The familiar voice of my friend, Suah echoed in the empty shower room. "What the hell happened to you? Are you crying?" She asked worriedly as she scanned me uyo and down checking if I had been hurt somewhere.

"I'm fine..." I forced a small chuckle.

"Its that bitch Sara isn't it?! I swear that bitch has been begging for my knuckles since pre school days!" She exclaimed. "I saw the pictures. Are you really seeing that mofo, Max?"

I felt my nostrils flare. "Not you too. I told you, I'm not interested in dating. At all!" I sighed. "Just get me a change of clothes please?"

"Right right! Wait here for a moment. I'll get my gym clothes."