22

The traffic of cars, the red tail lights and white head lights, the traffic lights, everything irritated the man who was in a hurry. "Can't we go another way?" He asked, trying to sound respectful and yet really sounding worried.

"The other road will be packed as well at this time. You know that." The manager of Stray Kids shook his head, glancing at Chan who sat on the passenger seat, obviously in a hurry and almost in a state of panic. Just a while ago, it was made known to the entire JYP family that Chan is in a relationship. The poor boy radiated happines and positivity and not an hour later, the boy was erratic, panicking and almost crying. He quickly dragged his manager to the basement with the car keys and demanded that he be taken to the hospital not because he was ill but because someone he loved is ill.

"Its the busy hour we will be late." His manager said calmly. "But don't worry, she will be fine." He added rather quickly in an attempt to comfort Chan who was already biting his nails in worry.

"I'm gonna run." Chan put on his mask and his hood.

"What?! No! Someone might follo-" but before he could finish, Chan escaped the car and started dashing down the side walk while trying to avoid the people who were walking slowly.  With every step he took, another "what if" popped in his mind. He couldn't care less about the people he bumped into as he ran, he fave them a quick "sorry" but never stopped running.

He was consumed with guilt and concern because he always knew Dani looked a little sick, why didn't he push her to tell him what was bothering her? Why didn't she force her to sit down, relax and care for herself? Why didn't he try harder to help her? He wondered why Dani couldn't tell him something as important as this and followed by that thought was a lingering question... "Dani, did you plan on leaving me?"

When he finally saw the hospital in the distance, he couldn't help but slow down. He wasn't sure if he was ready to see her in such pitiful state. But at the same time, he couldn't wait to just be by her side and hold her.

Upon entering the hospital, he dashed to the fron desk and asked for Dani's location. "What is your relationship with the patient, sir?" The nurse asked, almost too bored and uncaring.

"I'm her boyfriend." Chan explained but to his utter demise, the nurse raised a brown and shook her head.

"Sorry sir, only the immediate family are allowed to enter and visit the patient." The nurse said, going back to playing the spider solitaire she had paused earlier to entertain this sweaty, smoke-smelling, disheveled guy. She was a little irritated and wanted nothing more but for her shift to end at 3pm.

"Miss, you don't understand, she has no legal guardian and no family except for her younger siblings. Don't you need someone to pay the bills and such?" Chan asked.

"Hmm... The child wrote down their parent's names and said that he would try to contact them. Anyway, until the patient is conscious, you may wait in the lobby." Unconscious? Was she still unconscious?

Chan rarely lost his patience and his rationality but right now, he was losing himself and was drowning in worry, sadness, anger, and frustration. Without even thinking ahead, he had removed his mask, sucked in a breath before slamming his fist on the counter. "I said they have no guardian! I'm her boyfriend, the closest person to her aside from her minor siblings." He blurted out before realizing that both nurses stationed at the counter was staring at him, wide eyed, jaws on the floor and star struck.

"B-b-bang Ch-Chan from S-s-stray k-kids?" The nurse stuttered, making Chan even more annoyed right now. Thankfully, a fourteen year old boy and a little girl, both holding hands together passed by, tear stains on their cheeks. And well, Chan didn't waste an opportunity and ran towards the children.

"Jihoon! Jiyeon!" Chan ran up to them.

"Chan! You're here." Jihoon sighed in relief, at least he finally had a reliable adult to help them take care of the situation.

Chan knelt down to match the 9 year old's height before offering her a hug which she gratefully accepted. Amd when his arms had wrapped around her, the child burst out in tears.

"Where is she?" He asked the young boy.

"She's in the public ward, resting. You might want to wear your mask, Chan. People might recognize you." Jihoon said, leading them back to his frail, thin and tired older sister.

Jihoon and Jiyeon had experienced abandonment from both parents and to see his older sister in such pitiful state broke his already broken heart. He wanted to help her but aside from cleaning the house and making them meals, he didn't know how else he could help her and lessen her struggles. He hated how powerless he was but he hated the world even more for being so cruel to his sister.

When they got to the ward, Chan immediately wanted to move her bed to her own room. There was no way she was gonna recover in such busy, noisy, and crowded ward with other people. But when his eyes finally landed on Dani's unconscious state, lying unmoving on the hospital bed, he felt so much pain. It wasn't his imagination at all, he was right, Dani did lose so much weight and color. He couldn't believe he was thinking about it but it is exactly what he was seeing.... Dani looked like she was dying because she is...

Chan dragged a chair towards her bedside and held her small and frail hands. He could feel her bones through her skin even with the lightest touch. She looked so sick and pale, no wonder she wore makeup everytime they met, so he wouldn't notice. Looking at her lifeless form, Chan broke down in tears, holding her cold hand in his very tightly in hopes that his touch could offer her even the slightest comfort.

"I never wanted you to suffer alone, Dani." He cried. "I'm sorry you have such an incompetent boyfriend."