thirty-six

Recollection

I buttoned up the cropped sweater I decided to wear, flattening down the fabric a bit before looking up in the mirror

I buttoned up the cropped sweater I decided to wear, flattening down the fabric a bit before looking up in the mirror. Me and the others wanted to stay at the festival till early morning so I thought it would be a good idea to bundle up a bit as the nights can get pretty chilly during the spring. The sweater was made of fuzzy fabric, the buttons running up my chest made of little gemstones. Just like the majority of my wardrobe nowadays, it was made by the castle's sewer, and obviously so.

I brushed over my hair lightly, adjusting it neatly around my neck so the light purple spots wouldn't be as visible. I sighed, giving up.

''No way I can hide this.'' I muttered, brushing my fingers over the little hickeys.

I groaned tiredly, swatting away the thing that kept on poking me in my side. I turned to lay on my tummy, sighing in content ready to fall back asleep.

But the poking began again.

''Uhhhh.'' I whined trashing around to look at what was the source of my annoyance. I peered through my narrowed eyes to the right, spotting the king leaning on his elbow, watching me in interest.

''Y-your Majesty? Is something the matter?'' I rasped, closing my heavy eyes once again.

''Did you not sleep well last night? You're usually up at this hour.'' he wondered making me scrunch up my nose.

''What time is it?''

''Five minutes after nine.'' I whined rubbing my sore eyes. It's so late.

''I will be up in a minute, I'm sorry.'' I muttered, ready to get up but his heavy arm pinning me down stopped me, making me drop back down on the comfy mattress. I opened my eyes slowly, frowning.

''It's okay, you can sleep some more. There's no rush.'' he muttered, still watching me with his arm around my waist.

I watched him for a moment, pondering whether it was a good idea to lazy around in his bed for so long but my tired eyes beat me to the decision, my body too comfortable to even think of getting up.

''Thank you,'' I whispered, rolling over to lay on my tummy again, facing away from the harsh sunlight shining in through the balcony.

There was a bit of silence before I heard the king moving around, probably getting himself comfortable.

I frowned, however, feeling the weight of his body nestling itself down on my back, his face resting in the crook of my neck, his calm breath warming my cheeks. I opened one of my eyes tiredly, his strands of golden hair blocking my vision of anything else.