forty-five

Intruders

It was a raging storm outside that evening, the howling wind sending rain crashing against the massive windows of the palace

It was a raging storm outside that evening, the howling wind sending rain crashing against the massive windows of the palace. It was the kind of evening children feared, the kind of evening I didn't fancy myself. The enraged clouds would send bolts of lightning to strike against the ground heavily, and ever since I was just a little child, I hated lightning.

However, as I sat in the pleasingly warm water, the humid air scented with verbena, bee balm and lavender, the angry thunderstorm outside didn't affect me at all. The comforting arms around my waist and the security of a strong chest against my back seemed to chase away the anxiousness deep inside.

''Are your parents coming to the ball in two days as well?'' I asked quietly, leaning back to lay my head on his shoulder, looking up at him in question.

Taehyung wanted to spend the evening in the royal bathtubs together, saying he needed the rest before tomorrow, and who was I to deny him that. All the aristocrats and gentry would come to the palace tomorrow to settle down for the three days during which the annual ball was taking place. Meaning starting tomorrow, Taehyung would have way too much work on his hands to truly catch a break.

''No, my old man doesn't fancy festivities like that very much. Mother wouldn't come all this way alone either,'' he replied and I pursed my lips, nodding.

''I see, that is a shame,'' I muttered but Taehyung glanced down at me, raising his eyebrow, ''or I guess maybe not.'' I bit my lip, remembering all the times I talked to him about his father.

''I am not complaining,'' he shrugged his shoulders.

''I understand that you and your father don't have the best relationship. Especially after what he has done,'' I noted carefully, searching his face. Taehyung snorted.

''That doesn't even begin to cover the kind of person he actually is.'' I raised my eyebrow, thinking how bad his father actually had to be, ''Do you want to hear about how the Bride fest was actually created?''

I widened my eyes, looking at him in stunned silence.

Where did that come from so suddenly?

Looking deep into his eyes, I could see he wasn't so sure about telling me himself, but I was more than happy he was opening up to me with his past. So I composed myself quickly, nodding my head.

''Yes.''

Taehyung nodded to himself quietly, looking back ahead. I rubbed his arms that were wrapped around my waist soothingly, waiting for him to organize his thoughts.

''During the first two years of my ruling, things were tough. I still didn't get the hang of most things, I panicked more than I actually worked, I tried hard but made more mistakes than solved them. Issues were piling one on top of the other each day. Riots, decreasing standard of life, increasing poverty among higher-ranking families. I felt hopeless and miserable back then, my father didn't believe in support, said it's me who needs to figure this out if I am to rule for the rest of my life. However, things didn't improve for a long time and even he started to get frustrated and worried for the kingdom. So he said one thing. If I want things to go how I wish them to, I need to assert authority over people.'' I frowned softly, thinking what a terrible advice that is. Advice suiting the cruel man the retired king really was.