thirty-seven

You remember me

3

3. person

The sky was painted in pink and orange when the pair strolled across the castle yard, a comfortable silence in the air. While Chaeyoung was still hazy from her afternoon nap, Taehyung was walking next to her, his mind busy thinking of anything that could have dampened the girl's mood this much.

He could see Chaeyoung was bothered by something, it was bright as a day. The moment he saw her in the morning in the corridor, he knew something was wrong. That only confirmed itself once she threw herself at him. She didn't want him to see, but he did. Her damp cheeks that she tried to wipe dry the moment they separated. He didn't ask, he wasn't sure whether it was his place to pry. But as the day went on, he was starting to get more and more concerned.

Most of the day, Chaeyoung spend sleeping in his chamber while he worked.

Once he came back from the countless frustrating meetings, his chest tightened at the sight of her sleeping soundlessly in his bed, clear traces of salty tears on her reddened cheeks.

She has been crying again.

Sighing heavily he looked to his right, watching the girl as she walked along with him, her attention on the grass beneath their shoes. She hasn't spoken a word to him ever since they stepped outside for a walk. And as much as he knew it was none of his business, he couldn't help but wonder what was going on. He had never seen her this down, this miserable. Maybe the night he forbid her to meet with Jungkook, but even then she didn't look this...broken.

Did something happen at the festival last night? Did some people bother her again? The thought of that made his blood boil madly.

Not able to hold himself anymore, he looked away from her, clearing his throat.

''I haven't had the chance to ask yet...how was the festival? Did you enjoy yourself?'' Chaeyoung looked up at him, her face blank as she tried to register his words, the world around her foggy and blurry, his voice echoing emptily.

Everything in her ached but even so, she felt numb.

''Yes, I enjoyed it. It was lovely,'' she smiled weakly before looking away from him, her smile disappearing immediately.

This did not reassure Taehyung at all. Her response made him worried even more. She wasn't herself.

He clenched his jaw, not tearing his eyes away from her slumped figure.

''Sweetheart,'' at this, he noticed her flinch softly before looking at him once more in question, ''tell me what's wrong.'' Chaeyoung stopped in her tracks, making him do the same. He turned his whole body towards her, raising an eyebrow questioningly.