thirteen

Family

"Sweetheart?"

"Sweetheart?"

Opening my eyes, I lazily pushed the blanket up to under my chin.

"Yes?" I muttered tiredly, trying to push the sleep away as I sluggishly turned around, looking at the man who was looking blankly at the ceiling with the blanket covering him only to his hips. "Is there something wrong, Your Majesty?"

I was tired, the exhaustion was making it hard for me to keep my eyes open in the dimmed light of the room. Not to mention my body was sore, after all the pleasure and euphoria, my body was left aching with emptiness, lulling me to sleep even more.

"Can I ask you something?" I frowned, wondering what could go though his mind at this time of night. He looked troubled.

"Yes, of course."

There was a longer silence, making me wait anxiously for his next words.

"Before you came here," he started off, still not giving me a single glance, "have you ever thought of settling down and creating yourself a family?" I gaped quietly at his odd question, trying to process it while still not looking away from his glowing face.

I turned fully to my side, facing him with my hands under my head. I pondered at the question, thinking of how to answer him simply and truthfully.

"Um well, I guess I did at one point. But I still don't have anyone to settle down with, so it just became something like a dream of mine." I admitted, smiling a little at the thought of having a small family with a person I love. What an unreachable dream.

"A dream?" he muttered, turning to me with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Why do people want to have families so much?" he grunted silently, frowning at me which made me amused but confused at the same time.

"To feel secure?" I reasoned questioningly, the question taking me off guard for a while.

It was too late for me to think of things such as this.

"I mean, a family is someone you can unconditionally trust. Someone who's always by your side no matter what. Having family is this kind of reassurance that keeps you strong." I said, choosing my words carefully, talking quietly to not disturb the peace of the night in the dimmed chamber.

He didn't say anything, looking at me with an unreadable gaze, making me duck further down under the blanket, avoiding his gaze. He turned to his side as well so we were now fully facing each other, but still without our bodies touching under the blanket.

"Not all families are like that. Even family can hurt and betray you." I looked up at his remark, silencing myself for a while to think of what he said while gazing at his empty eyes.