forty-three

All yours

3. person

The bright moon behind the giant windows that reached both ceiling and the ground was the only source of lighting in the cold corridors as Taehyung made his way up the staircase, aiming for his room after a long day of work.

The echo of his steps resonated all around, creating an eerie atmosphere, yet not as disturbing as Taehyung's mind at that moment.

It felt too depressing returning to his room when he knew Chaeyoung wouldn't be there waiting for him. A cold night full of restlessness was awaiting him and as much as he tried to prolong his day with work, his mind didn't work clearly enough for him to get anything done anymore.

As he was about to start climbing from the second floor, another pair of steps echoed on the other side of the dark corridor and he stopped in his tracks, wondering who would be roaming around the place at three in the morning.

To his surprise and distaste, it was Jeon Jungkook, walking with a sling bag around his slouched shoulder and his head to the ground.

Turning to him, Taehyung observed the boy before speaking up.

''You're leaving already?'' Startled, Junkook looked up from his thoughts, stopping in his tracks at the sight of the king himself, ''I thought Seokjin prepared a room for you to sleep in for tonight?''

Gulping, Jungkook looked the emperor in the dark pits of his eyes.

''Yes, that is right, your majesty. However, something came up and I need to leave immediately.'' Taehyung nodded, observing the younger with an empty look.

''I see, that is unfortunate. I hope you enjoyed your stay, at least.'' Jungkook nodded immediately, clutching the sling of his bag so tightly his knuckles turned white.

''Yes I did very much, thank you.''

Suspiciously, Taehyung watched the younger, noticing the guilt in his features. However, he did not dwell on it too much, not wanting to talk to him any longer for it was only his exhaustion that kept him from unleashing his true emotions.

''Very well, then, I won't tardy you much longer. I hope you have a pleasant trip.''

''Thank you, your majesty,'' Jungkook bowed down and was about to walk around him when he stopped in his tracks, turning back around.

''Please give my regards to Chaeyoung and tell her I'm sorry I couldn't say bye to her.'' And with that he descended the stairs, leaving Taehyung watching after his back with a frown.

What could have been so urgent he couldn't say his goodbyes to Chaeyoung personally?

''Jin, you could have at least let me finish my breakfast you doofus,'' whined Jisoo, getting dragged by inpatient Seokjin to the fourth floor.