twenty-six

Lonely

Chaeyoung's pov

Chaeyoung's pov

I smiled sleepily with my eyes still closed, feeling the silky sheets over my body. I stretched out my limbs before rolling over to my tummy, burying my face in the soft pillow. The subtle smell of fresh cotton and musk caused me to sigh in content, snuggling myself deeper into the scented softness.

Wait-musk?

As far as I know, the pillow on this side of the bed never smelled like-

Widening my eyes in the realization I turned my head sideways, taking a sharp breath as I noticed the king's face only a few inches away from mine.

I-how did I get to his side of the bed?

Carefully, I scurried away from his pillow and sat up, holding the silky sheets against my bare chest with blushing cheeks.

Thank God he's sleeping.

Sighing, I threw my feet over the edge of the bed, shivering at the sudden breeze coming in through the open balcony.

Looking ahead, I noticed it was raining heavily outside, not a single sign of a rising sun on the gloomy sky.

"What a day..." I muttered under my nose and stood up, picking up my discharged clothes from the floor.

Silently I put on my gown, tiptoeing towards the mirror in the corner of the room to fix the ribbon around my waist properly. I bit my lip at the sight of the new hickeys over my collarbone and upper chest. The fact that he didn't mark my neck as it was still a bit bruised made me smile.

It warmed me up how considerate and apologetic he was.

The soft shuffling behind me made me stop daydreaming as I turned around. The king was slowly sitting up, the mop of his messy hair covering his puffy, narrowed eyes and scrunched eyebrows.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked softly, raising my eyebrow. A small smile made its way to my lips as he messed up his hair even more, looking up at me in slight confusion. He stayed silent for a while, watching me as if still unaware of his surroundings before responding.

"No, you didn't." he shook his head with a silent murmur before sighing and throwing his feet over the edge of the bed. I raised my eyebrow in surprise, watching him while he still tried to wake up from his slumber.

"It's still quite early. You can still lay down i-"

"I have some work to do," he said, the distaste in his voice causing me to chuckle a little.

I watched him as he put on his robe before disappearing in his bathroom, a single thought never leaving my mind.

He really has a lot of work lately.