forty-six

The cry of a child

A sudden harsh breeze hit his face as he frantically ran out of the palace, entering the starry summer night

A sudden harsh breeze hit his face as he frantically ran out of the palace, entering the starry summer night. Taehyung always thought he had great stamina, however at the moment as breath left his lungs in heavy and quick puffs, he felt as if all Saints' powers left him hanging. The singing crickets, the soft wind in the trees, the distant chattering and laughs from the palace behind him were barely heard under his quick breathing and frantic steps as he ran towards the backyard, looking all around in impatient anxiety.

She was there just a few minutes ago she couldn't be that far. Seokjin was already looking for her on the inside but in the mess of fear and feeling of helplessness that clouded his mind, Taehyung couldn't tell what would be the most logical place for her to be.

If the guy was one of them and he really took her, she could be anywhere.

As he ran in the darkness of the night, the pressure inside his chest grew rapidly and soon fear transformed into mad anger.

If what he was fearing was true and the man took her, Taehyung wouldn't spare a single ounce of sympathy his way. He will crush him. God help the guy if he hurt her.

Soon, however, his maddening thoughts came to an abrupt halt as he ran around the corner, colliding with someone else.

''Thank God!'' Immediately he was engulfed in a warm hug as Chaeyoung threw herself at him, wetting his shoulder with tears. For a moment he stood still, looking ahead hard as a rock. Soon he woke up from his trance and hugged her back just as tight, placing his hand at the back of her head to soother her cries.

''My love,'' he breathed, dipping his face into her neck, ''what happened? Where were you?''

Sniffing, the girl squeezed his shirt in her palms, pulling herself closer.

''T-there was this guy and-and... he seemed nice I promise you he seemed so nice, I didn't know...'' Taehyung shushed her quietly, rubbing her back.

''Baby calm down, you're okay now,'' he reassured silently, pulling away to look into her teary eyes, ''take a deep breath and talk slowly, yes?''

Chaeyoung nodded frantically, wiping away her tears harshly.

''Something's not right. Something's going on,'' she whispered, shaking her head.

''I know,'' nodded Taehyung, pulling her wrist away from her face to wipe at her wet cheeks more gently, ''what did that guy do to you? Where is he now?''

''He came up to me in the ballroom and-and he said he was from the east, said some stuff about his family that I don't remember that well. He told me how he adored gardening and how he always wanted to see the palace gardens. He asked me whether I would accompany him to show him around and I agreed! I agreed but I swear I didn't know!'' Taehyung nodded, stroking her cheek reassuringly with his thumb.