Back Home

Sorry about Newt guys but he...

It was soon time to go back to Hogwarts. Tom said he wanted to tell me something, but he hadn't yet. I was hoping he would forget about it. Unfortunately, as I was packing my trunk the night before, I heard one sharp knock on the door.

"Come in." I called out. Without even looking in his direction, I knew Tom was there. He closed the door behind him.

"I have your task." He said simply. I sat down on the bed to listen to him.

"I'm not going to kill my brother." I said simply. He laughed.

"No, Harry is mine-"

"-Look, I'll do whatever you say, for my friends' sake, but don't think for a moment I'm on your side. I'm only doing this to protect them, but if there is a war, nothing will stop me from fighting against you." I said. Tom looked outside, bored.

"Are you done?" He asked, putting his hands in his pocket. I nodded.

"Kill Dumbledore." He said, turning around to open the door and leave.

"Wait, what?!" I stood up. He looked back.

"Kill. Dumbledore." He said.

"I-I can't do that he's-he's-" I was interrupted with Tom sighing.

"Y/N, please, do I have to bring Edmund in here to torture again? He can help you-"

"-You involved Edmund in this too?" I said, disbelief washing over me.

"The world's more complicated than you think Y/N, things aren't black and white, good and bad. Catch on." He said. "I also have your cover story. You can't expose Edmund and Tewkesbury and yourself now too. Edmund and Tewkesbury were taken out of the school because of the fight at the Ministry, that's why they didn't return. You were captured by death eaters, but you escaped. No one can know what your task is, or what Draco's is either-"

"-What's Draco's task?" I asked. Tom smiled.

"I don't trust you with that information." He said simply.

"Also, we had to...alter your parents' memories. They think that you've been at a friend's house this Summer. So, stick with that story." He added, leaving the room. I flopped back on the bed.

I had to kill Dumbledore.

The most powerful wizard.

Me! I turned over in bed. One of these days, I wanted to Avada Kedavra myself, but I couldn't...people got hurt for me. I owe it to them to keep fighting. Besides, I would find some way to trick Tom. Find some way to get out of his scheme.

For now, I needed sleep, which I didn't think I was going to get, before tomorrow.

---

Edmund and I arrived at the train station with staggered times, so it didn't look suspicious. My parents probably thought I was still with my "friend" because I hadn't got any letters from them.

Edmund went off to the Slytherin compartment and I went straight to the Gryffindor compartment. Tewkesbury was already there.

"Y/N!" Hermione launched herself on me, enveloping me in a hug. Harry and Ron did the same. They were all so overjoyed to see me. As I hugged them all, I felt safe and warm. It made me realize that I was right for standing up to Tom for them. They were my family, my home, my everything.

The whole ride was gone by weaving my story on how I escaped the death eaters. I felt bad for lying, but I would've felt even worse if I was the reason they would get hurt.

"Where's Newt?" I asked finally. Hermione's face darkened.

"After the fight, we haven't seen him since." She said. My stomach dropped. He's fine, I assured myself. But as I walked out of the train compartment, I looked around for him. I didn't see him anywhere.

He probably left early, I told myself. If he was de- wasn't here, I don't think I could ever forgive myself. He was the reason the Dark Mark hadn't worked on me. He was the reason I was probably alive.

I also didn't see Draco, which I thought was strange. Probably had something to do with the "task". I didn't want to think about my task yet, for now I just wanted to enjoy time with my friends and look for Newt.

Before we went inside the castle, Filch searched our bags. It was strange, but a necessary precaution against Tom....and anyone working with him, I thought guiltily.

As we all crowded in the hall, I scanned the Hufflepuff table. I didn't catch any blonde hair, so I redirected my focus to the Gryffindor table. This isn't happening. I started breathing heavily, panic raising my throat.

That's when Dumbledore asked for our attention. I was relieved by the distraction.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff. Horace Slughorn." There was a round of applause.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post... as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts... will be taken by Professor Snape." Everyone gasped, Snape finally got his dream job. But I couldn't look at him the same way again. He was a traitor. But so are you, a little voice chirped at me. I ignored it as Dumbledore continued.

"As you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man. Like you, sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept under its roof. You see, to all the world, a student like any other. His name: Tom Riddle. Today of course, is known all over the world by another name. Which is why as I stand, looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps... dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon... is you."

"Great, we're all bloody inspired." A voice said behind me. And I knew just who it belonged to. I jumped out of my seat to hug Newt. "Whoa easy there, my ribs still haven't healed from the last time you hugged me." He joked.

"Newt. I-I can't thank you enough, I can't explain how much you mean to me and I thought you were dead and I was going to have a panic attack and-"

"Hush, love, it's okay." He said. I parted from the hug and beamed, but then I saw his face.

"Why do you have a bloody nose?" I asked. His gaze flitted to the Slytherin table.

"Was it Edmund? I swear to go I'm going to-"

"It was Malfoy." Newt interrupted. I looked over at Malfoy, who sat depressed.

"Newt, s-stay away from Malfoy, he's trouble." I'm trouble, I wanted to add.

"I know, but I've dealt with troublemakers plenty." He smiled. He went off to sit on the Hufflepuff table. I also happily took my seat.

My friends were safe...for now.