The Final Fight

OMG this chapter is a whopping 3,000+ words, my longest chapter yet! So hold on!

Harry and I reached the Forest's edge. Within, further on, we saw Dementors drifting within the trees. Harry started to enter, but I paused. "Wait Harry...remember that message on the Snitch?" He reached into his pocket and pulled out the Snitch. He eyed the words etched upon it: "I open at the close."

"We're at the close." I whispered. Harry frowned, catching on what I was trying to say, then he closed his eyes, bringing the metal orb to his lips. His fingers trembled as he held it up, whispering, "I'm about to die..." Then he lowered his hand, watching as the metal shell fell away to reveal... the resurrection stone.

A jagged crack ran down its center, along the line representing the Elder Wand. The triangle and circle, representing the Cloak and Stone, were faintly visible. I stared at it, taking it from his hand. I took the stone, closed my eyes and rolled the stone over in my hand. "Once. Twice. Thrice..." I muttered, counting it off.

Harry's soft gasp told me to open my eyes. Three people stood in front of us. I looked at the woman, she had long hair, and a soft smile. "Mum...?" I whispered. Her faint eyes glittered warmly as her smile grew.

"Dad?" Harry voiced. I looked over to see a man with messy hair and circular glasses just like Harry's. He smiled proudly at us. "Sirius!" Harry exclaimed as he saw the third man. Sirius smiled brightly. Lily eyed us lovingly and beckoning us forth. As if in a dream, Harry and I walked through the trees, stopping before her.

"You've been so brave, sweetheart." She told us.

"Why are you here? All of you?" I asked.

"We never left, dear." She answered. It made me choke up. This was my family, right here...right in front of me. They never left me, they were always watching over me, protecting me.

"Does it hurt? Dying?" Harry asked quietly.

"Quicker than falling asleep." Sirius reassured.

"You're nearly there." James smiled.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want any of you to die for me." Harry looked down.

"You'll stay with us?" I asked.

"Until the end." James looked at me.

"He won't be able to see you?" Harry asked. Sirius shook his head, gesturing to Harry's heart. "No. We're here, you see." I turned to my mother. "Stay close to me." I mumbled, feeling like a small child.

"Always..." She gave me one more smile. I glanced back, toward the Forest's Edge, taking a last look at the castle in the distance.

Goodbye Hogwarts.

Goodbye Life.

Dozens of dementors drifted amongst the smoking trees, but our guides insulated him, and the dementors merely peeled away. We continued walking until light splintered the trees ahead, and a clearing came into view.

A fire burned, its light flickering over the throng of death eaters present. Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, weary with fear, sit apart. Bellatrix paced in and out of the shadows, muttering madly. And then there is Tom, who was standing with his head bowed, his nimble hands were folded over the Elder Wand. Nagini lay in a heavy coil at his feet. Yaxley entered the clearing. "No sign of them, my Lord."

Voldemort nodded, unmoving. "I thought he would come. I was, it seems... mistaken."

"You weren't." Harry spoke up. All eyes shifted to him, standing at the clearing's edge. I let the Resurrection Stone tumble from my fingers and James, Sirius, lastly, Lily all vanished. Harry and I stepped into the firelight.