Betrayal

Long chapter, plot twists, and lots of feels...hold on tight!

Uneasiness had settled inside me since the moment I woke up. I could feel that everyone was a bit on edge. But nobody spoke about it. They just went on with their day as I did with mine. Edmund's directions rang inside my head. Although confused, I decided to follow them to see what would happen.

Harry said Dumbledore and him would leave at around 8:00 to retrieve the horcrux, well after school was finished and so was dinner. Hopefully I would be back in time to meet Harry after he caught the horcrux. Hopefully whatever Edmund and the rest had planned wouldn't take long.

So, at 9:30 pm that day, I paced the common room in anticipation. Tewkesbury was nowhere to be seen. I hadn't seen Edmund either for the whole day. The clock barely inched forward. And I was left in a pile of anxiousness. "Y/N, calm down, he'll be fine." Hermione assured me. I gave her a quick smile. We heard a soft knock on the door, and I held my breath.

"It can't be them..." Hermione muttered, getting up to answer it. She came back with Newt walking behind her.

"Why did I guess that I'd find you in this frenzy." Newt smiled walking up to me.

"What are you doing here?" Ron asked.

"Dumbledore told me about the horcruxes, I want to see what happens tonight after they find it." He said. "And you," He said, taking my hands into his own. "Need to calm down. Dumbledore's a really powerful wizard and Harry's safe with him." He assured me. I gave him a nod and a soft smile.

"Good that." He dropped my hands and went back to the door. "Let's have some tea, shall we, while we wait?" He asked. He left the common room only to appear back with a tray of teacups and tea. With Newt, time went by faster. 11:00 came quick.

Everyone was laid out lazily on the couches, on the verge of going to bed. I said that I needed to take a walk to get some fresh air. Everyone muttered approval but didn't say much. Except Newt, who also stood up.

"Do you want me to come with you, love?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No thanks, Newt, I'll be fine." When he still seemed hesitant, I gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "I'll be back real soon; I just need some time alone." I smiled reassuringly as I head out.

Edmund was still nowhere to be seen. I don't know where he was or what he was doing. All I could do was aimlessly walk the halls looking for him. Good thing I didn't have to walk far. As I turned the corner, he almost bumped into me. "Ed?" I asked.

He grabbed my hand and started running. "Ed?! Where are we going?" I asked between breaths.

"He's back, this is your chance." He replied.

"Who's back? My chance to do what?" I questioned. But as we neared the Astronomy Tower, I started to have an idea. Edmund led me up the stairs. He stopped right before the top but urged me to go forward. "Do it now!" Edmund hissed. I continued walking up the stairs to the room. I stopped right in front of a hunched over Dumbledore near the window. He looked like he was in pain.

I slowly raised my wand in Dumbledore's direction.

"You are not an assassin, Y/N." Dumbledore looks at me.

"How do you know what I am? I've done things that would shock you." I said, my voice slightly trembling.

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping she would, in turn, bear a cursed necklace to me? Like replacing a bottle of mead with one laced with poison. Forgive me, Y/N, but these are attempts so feeble I cannot help but question if your heart has been really in them." Dumbledore said.