Explanations

Once more we were sucked into the air and reappeared somewhere else. This time I felt a wooden floorboard underneath. We were on a porch of a house. It was familiar. From where we were standing, I couldn't see the location of where we were, so I peeked behind the pillar when Newt pulled me back.

"They could be watching." He said grimly.

"Who? Where are we?" I asked.

"This is the first place we ever met." He gave a small smile as Hermione opened the door. We were at Grimmauld Place again.

I entered the familiar hallway, taking in the air. It was a bit dusty and stale, but it was almost like home. I felt safe here. Hermione went to work right away, putting up protective charms. The exhaustion of the day took over and I excused myself to freshen up.

I went straight upstairs to shower. I let the warm water comfort me for a while. I changed into sweatpants and a sweatshirt and headed downstairs. Grimmauld place was bigger than I had known. Each of the guys were all showering as well. Hermione was in the kitchen, stirring something in the pot.

"Ah, I was waiting for you. There are only 4 showers here. You can stir the food while I go take one. We can all eat and finally listen to your explanation." She smiled, heading out. I went over to where she had been standing. She was making mac n cheese out of a box. I smiled; I hadn't had one of these in forever.

I continued where she was at, adding the packet of powdered cheese to the pasta. By the time I was done, everyone was also done taking a shower. We all sat with our bowls on the couches. And I started talking.

I talked about everything, from the dreams that I first saw in 5th year. Then what happened after I was taken at the Ministry. How Tewkesbury and Edmund were death eaters. How I was going to be one too, but I was protected because Newt had taken a spell for me.

I talked about the task I received, more so WHY I went through with it. I told them the threats that Tom gave. What would've happened if I hadn't done it. I told them all my attempts to kill Dumbledore, and how I had failed.

I poured out everything that I had bottled up for the past year. "And so, I deserve every bit of hate, disappointment, and anger you throw at me." I finished. Newt stood up from his spot across from me. I thought he was going to leave.

Instead, he walked and sat beside me, putting an arm around me. "If you had only told us, Y/N, we would've understood. We could've helped you out of this." He mumbled.

"I was too...scared. I didn't want to risk any of your safety." I replied softly.

"Well, we all knew that our Y/N wouldn't do anything like that." Newt said.

"That's why we sent the message. It was a gamble because we didn't know if you still had to coin or if you would see it." Hermione said.

"But hey, it worked." Ron smiled.

"And we sent it to you because we believed you had an explanation, a reason." Harry spoke up.

"We still trust you, Y/N." Hermione smiled

"And we still love you." Newt finished. I smiled as my heart warmed.

"What...what did I do to deserve all of you as my friends?" I whispered. We all shared a few laughs and finished up our food. Afterwards, Hermione gave us all cookies for "dessert", and we sat around the fire.

"Okay...so what now...what's the plan?" I asked. A seriousness spread over everyone.

"Well, that night that I went with Dumbledore to retrieve the horcrux...well it was a fake. The real one is still out there." Harry explained.

Newt peered out the window and quickly shut the curtain. "Well, whatever we're planning, we need to execute it quick because the death eaters out there are growing in numbers." Newt warned.

The death eaters were just standing and looking at the building. They couldn't come in because of Hermione's charms, but it was about time before they found a way in. What if Edmund was out there? I pushed that thought aside. He had chosen his fate; I had chosen mine.

"So, I'm thinking we infiltrate the Ministry." Harry spoke up. I thought Hermione would immediately refuse but she thought about it.

"Okay...how?" Ron asked.

"Polyjuice Potion." Newt said. Everyone looked towards him. "All of us are targeted and tagged, we can't just stroll in there. We need disguises. And what better disguises than people at the Ministry? Tomorrow, two of us can go and observe people going in and out. We'll tag necessary people, find a way to get a piece of their hair. We'll take a couple days of preparation and then be off." Newt planned out.

"Wow, you're really good at this." I breathed.

"Okay, pack everything. Once we go to the Ministry, we don't know what's going to happen, we won't know if we're ever going to return here. So, plan for that." Hermione said standing up. "But for now, let's all get some rest, we need it." She said, leaving upstairs.

"Something tells me we won't always have a nice comfortable bed available in the future." Ron smiled, also heading up. I followed them up and picked a room. It was huge, with a large bed in the center. I laid down. It was cold so I squirmed around the huge bed.

After moments of being unable to sleep I sat up and shivered. That's when I heard a knock on the door. My heart pounded. "Uh, who is it?" I called out.

"Newt." A voice called back.

"Yeah, you can come in." I relaxed. Newt came inside and closed the door.

"I reckoned you were awake." Newt said walking over to my bed.

"Yeah, well it's hard to sleep in a room that feels like a walk-in refrigerator." I grumbled.

"Your room's better than mine, it's a whole freezer down there." Newt complained as he sat on my bed.

"Isn't anyone else complaining?" I asked.

"Harry's fallen asleep by the fire. Ron and Hermione are all cuddled in another room. Why do we have to freeze our arses?" He said, sliding under my covers. I too laid down to him. It was true, with two people under the blanket, it was a lot warmer.

I turned to my side to sleep, moving closer to Newt for warmth. This took me back to the days when he used to sleep by me to help me with my nightmares.

"Also do you have those clothes I gave you at school that day?" He asked.

"Yes." I answered.

"Can I have them ba-"

"No." I said. He chuckled but didn't say anything more.