Chapter 22- Texting:

When I walked back into the cabin, the room was pitch black. Everyone had gone to sleep, sweaty and drunk. I opened the fridge to grab a snack, but it was empty. Sasha and Connie probably ate everything. Oh well. One less thing to pack up tomorrow.

    I did my best to walk quietly up the stairs to the girls' rooms. When I stepped in the room, I saw the girls sleeping on the floor, all of their silhouettes rising and falling with each passing breath. Sasha was propped up against the corner of the wall with a bowl of cold soup in her lap, muttering something about food while she drooled. Annie and Mikasa were asleep next to each other, their forms so rigid they rivaled corpses. Historia, being the wonderful person she is, gave up her spot on the bed so I could rest after my concussion. She was cuddled up against Ymir... so cute. Hanji was sitting upright on the other side of the queen bed— awake?

    "Hanji?" I whispered, putting my hand on the sheets. No reply. I heard their voice quietly muttering nonsense, so they were asleep too.

    I threw my head onto the pillow, completely exhausted from the day. I close my eyes and took a deep breadth... why does it smell like citrus? I lifted my head up and saw that I had never given Eren his sweatshirt back from two nights ago. Someone must have moved it from the edge of the bed onto my pillow. I threw it off the bed as hard as I could. It didn't travel very far. Whatever. I pulled the sheets over myself and drifted off to sleep.

    The next morning I awoke to the groans of everyone downstairs— the hangover we all felt was unbelievable.

    "Agh, the painnnnn!" Sasha groaned dramatically.

    We filed out the door and started loading up the bus.

    "My ribbon!" Historia cried. "It's gone!"

    "You mean the one Ymir won from Sasha?" I asked. She nodded. "I'll go look for it."

    After scouring the halls, kitchen, living room, and everywhere else, I came across the light blue hair tie on the nightstand upstairs. Below it was Eren's sweatshirt crumpled on the floor. I picked that up as well and locked the door behind me. I handed Historia her ribbon back, she thanked me graciously, and followed everyone else onto the bus.

    I shuffled to the back of the bus, planning to sit alone. When I passed by Eren's seat I glared at him and chucked the hoodie at his face. His teal-green eyes widened in initial surprise, but he accepted it on his lap. He almost looked sad that I was giving it back. Really? I scoffed. Mikasa was next to him. We made eye-contact for a moment, her expression wary. I sat down in the back and stared out the window. By the time the bus had started moving, I became so lost in my thoughts that the trip only felt like a few minutes.

    I walked back home alone, immediately rushing to my bed when I arrived. After an entire day of doing nothing but driving, it was amazing how tired I was. Of course, the moment night hit and it was dark enough for me to sleep, my mind would not shut up. I stared off into the blackness, hoping that somehow I'd be able to—

    My phone buzzed. It was an unknown number.

    —————————————————

    xxx-xxx-xxxx

    Thanks for giving me my hoodie back.

    Otherwise I would've forgotten. :/

    —————————————————

    That's right... He uses emojis... And typed in all lowercase. Tryhard. I rolled my eyes. It was Eren. I forgot that I purposefully didn't make a contact for him. Probably because before this dumb trip I was capable of rational thought. I didn't reply. A few minutes later he texted again: