Chapter 24- The Roller Rink (Part 1):

The weekend whizzed by, and soon enough I was back in Shadis' classroom, reunited with my friends. The moment I walked into classroom 104A, a brunette smashed into me at full speed.

"(Y/N)!! We missed you!!" she continued talking excitedly as she pulled me into a circle with Jean, Connie, and Marco. "Last week Connie found the best fried chicken place ever— you have to come with us!!"

"Jean, maybe we go for your birthday," Marco chimed in.

"I dunno guys... that's like three months away," Jean scratched his head.

"We can't wait that long!!" Sasha yelled in fear. She called to Historia: "Historia!" The blonde girl looked away from Ymir, Reiner, and Bertholdt. Sasha continued: "Isn't your birthday coming up?"

"Yes," she blushed. "It's actually in two weeks."

Sasha's face lit up. "Great! How would you like to get fried chicken—"

"And have a party at (Y/N)'s house after with all of your friends?" Connie butted in.

I shoved Connie and whispered angrily: "I never said you could do that!!"
"Yeah, well, Historia's birthday would've been boring if it was just fried chicken. Besides, we'll need a break after finals."

"I'd love to do that with you all, Sasha! ... (Y/N)?" Historia asked, "Are you sure you're okay with throwing a party?"

I didn't want to be an asshole, so I agreed. "Of course! It'll be my pleasure. My parents are still going to be out of town by then, so the whole house will be free."

"It's settled then," Jean said with his nose in the air. "Round two at (Y/N)'s!"

Shadis called everyone to their seats and the school day began. My first Monday back since my injury started as usual: class would break for lunch, Jean would walk with me to my locker to pick up food while the others waited for us at our corner table, then back to class, and finally, we'd all walk home together.

On Wednesday, when Jean was walking with me to my locker, I saw Eren leaning on the wall a few spaces down with his arms behind his head, waiting for someone. His teal-green eyes flashed in my direction and then hit Jean. Upon seeing him, Eren got up and walked away. A minute later, Mikasa walked out of the Girls' bathroom looking around through the crowd of students and started panicking when Eren was nowhere to be found. She immediately sprinted down the halls to find him.

Jean laughed, "Jeez— I don't understand why the two of them won't get married already. It's obvious she's in love with him."

"Yeah, but Eren has to like her too for it to work, Jean" I replied stiffly.

Jean lifted his eyebrows, "Uh, yeah... Yeah, I—I suppose you're right," he said awkwardly.

Things with Jean had been going normally, despite what happened on our final day of the trip. We never talked about it, actually, but he didn't seem to hold anything against me. I guess he had a week to think it over before he had to decide whether or not he should be mad at me when I returned to school. He chose to ignore it, which was surprising, since the last time Eren had gotten close to me, Jean had freaked out. Underneath all of this "standard" stuff though, I could feel a sense of unease in him— a strain had formed in our relationship. But, some things are better left unspoken.

"Anyway," he changed the subject when we arrived at my locker: "I was wondering if you'd like to come roller skating with Connie and Sasha, and Marco and me." (If you're confused as to why Jean grouped Connie and Sasha together, it's because they're with each other so often that everyone basically referred to them as one person.)