Chapter 40- Shinganshina Park:

(Y/N)'s POV:

I debated about whether or not I should run back to Eren's to find my letter. After a bit of thinking while still running towards my house, I decided not to. There was no way I could pull off any reasonable excuse for revisiting him. Plus, he had probably already found the letter anyway. I smacked my head in frustration when I reached my front door.

"Ugh! Stupid!"

I unlocked the door and sprinted up to my room to sit on my bed and think. When I had thrown my backpack off, smoothed out the covers, and got comfortable, my mind went blank. What was I supposed to think about? No amount of thinking would undo anything that just happened. Maybe I should text Ymir...

She beat me to the punch. My phone lit up.

—————————————————

Ymir

What did u do

—————————————————

Huh?? How did she—? Was she referring to—? My thoughts jumped around to every possible option. She typed again and answered my question:

—————————————————

Ymir

Jeans currently on the verge of tears

—————————————————

I breathed a sigh of relief. So, it wasn't about Eren. I typed back quickly:

—————————————————

me

How does that relate to me?

—————————————————

Ymir

Idk. You're (Y/N). Everything that happens here has to do w u

Now he's asking what he did wrong

...

I think you should come over

—————————————————

me

Call me?

—————————————————

Shortly after I had sent the message my phone rang. I picked it up quickly: "Hello?"

"Hey. So, to fill you in: basically Jean, Marco, Historia, and I decided to kick it for a bit after we finished studying together... long story short Jean's drunk-crying on the floor wondering 'what he did wrong', which I assume in one way or another relates to you," Ymir's distorted voice explained quickly. "So, I was thinking maybe you should stop by to console him."

I shook my head, "I can't do that."

"Why not? I thought everything was fine between you two. Aren't you friends?"

I thought for a moment. I wasn't really sure how to phrase our relationship status. "Sometimes. We don't really talk much anymore."

"Y'all are in the same friend group; you talk all the time," she pointed out.

"Yes," I sighed in frustration, "but it's only passing conversation and there's nothing there anymore. I don't think I should intervene. If this happens to be about me, I feel like if I showed up when Jean was at his weakest, it would make everything worse. He'd probably end up feeling more like shit," I replied dryly. Then I commented, "Also, it's been almost over a month. Why would it be bothering him now?"