18. Monster

Thank you AyomideChloe your votes brought a smile on my face ❤️.  Incase you haven't been voting, please vote 🥺🙏 and share. Thank you 🧘

.
The day for the basketball game had arrived, some day students lingered in the school. Everyone anticipated the game, and so did Fiona. She held the Jersey Kelechi had given her up as she stared at it.

"The cloth won't wear itself you know" Amaka said startling Fiona.

She turned towards her with a frown on her face. "I really don't know if I should wear it, I don't want to gain any unwanted attention from other students." Fiona slumped on her bed.

"Which attention abeg. Wear something jare." Amaka said with a mocking smile on her face.

Fiona sighed dramatically. She removed the shirt she was wearing and replaced it with the blue jersey with the number 8 boldly written on the Jersey. It was exactly her size and she wondered how he managed to get her exact size.

Amaka looked at Fiona with her bottom lip in her mouth as if she was thinking. "It fits you well. Come let's go. I'm sure the Prestige students have arrived" Amaka said as she dragged Fiona along. "And in as much as their our rivalry, I would still like to appreciate God's creation"

Fiona looked at her best friend and shook her head. "You'll never change" Fiona said and Amaka laughed.

"Never" she said mimicking a British accent. The time read 4 and from where Fiona stood she noticed that the bleachers had already been packed and just like Amaka had said, the students of Prestige college had arrived and were doing some warm ups beside the court.

"Omo, the game finna be hot today o" Amaka said as she puffed her cheeks.

"On God. It's like they reshuffled their time. Look at how big and tall they are. No offense though, but they look like professionals." Fiona said as they found an empty seat few rows away from the court.

"I swear. " Amaka said as she assessed each and everyone of them. Her eyes landed on Nonso- a former classmate. She tapped Fiona's shoulder and made a slick gesture towards Nonso.

"Is that Nonso?" Fiona asked, her eyes wide as she took in the boy.

"That's what I'm still trying to answer. Wasn't that guy short before, how did he grow so tall and huge like that?" Amaka asked shaking her head at how unbelievable the person in question looked.

" Maybe he drank something that made him that way. Who knows, that's one epic transformation abeg." Fiona said as she recalled how Nonso looked like before he left RBC in JSS3. He was fat and short and was bullied extremely because of it.

"Wow. God is good sha." Amaka said as her eyes roamed the other players who were gathered together as their coach spoke with them.  Fiona eyes searched the court as she tried to find Kelechi. Finally, her eyes landed on him but instead a smile to Grace her face, a frown replaced. She glanced down on the Jersey she was wearing before looking back at him. He had the number 11 boldly written on his red jersey. Hers had the number 8. Weren't we supposed to be matching?. She pondered as she unconsciously tugged on the blue jersey. Turns out a junior had the Jersey with the number 8 on it.

Fiona felt like ripping the cloth from her body. She tried to reassure herself that is was probably a mistake or they had changed his jersey for reasons unknown to her. The bleachers were filled with students – RBC and Prestige all anticipating the game. The whistle was blown and each player had to assemble on the court.

"Go Royals!" a girl shouted as the game begun and everyone cheered.

Fiona watched as Kelechi dribbled the ball like a pro. He was about to dunk the ball into the net when Nonso jumped and took it from his hand. He bounced the ball as he headed towards the net to score. He wasn't quick enough as the junior with the jersey that had the name with Fiona collected the ball from him.