26. Train Wreck

Adam was restless and tired and definitely not in the mood. One, he woke up at the wrong side of the bed. Two, he stumped his toe on a large Stone and three, Fiona was, well, majorly what he thought of. The biology teacher kept going on and on on how they were supposed to have finished reading their biology textbooks but right now, it just wasn't Adam's business.

"Guy, what's wrong?" Farouk whisper asked.

Adam shrugged "It's nothing."

Farouk felt offended, his friend had been exhibiting a sour type of attitude ever since he came to school. That answer wasn't enough for him so he decided to ask again.

"Seriously, what's wrong?" He nudged his shoulders with Adam's.

Adam took a deep breath, his eyes fully focused on the biology teacher. "Like I said before Farouk, it's nothing. I'm just having a bad day. That's all." Adam turned towards him a gave him a grin.
"See, I'm fine."

Farouk was annoyed, all he wanted was to know what was wrong with his best friend and try to comfort him but the guy wasn't co-operating with him. Farouk shot him a sarcastic grin. "Fine, if you say so." The bell signalling break period went off.

Farouk stuffed his books into his desk and walked out of the class without sparing his best friend any glance. It was childish he knew, but sometimes two can play the game. Once everyone in the class had gone, Adam placed his head on the table with a loud sigh.

He didn't know why but he wasn't just feeling himself today and to top it all, he just dismissed his friend who was only trying to cheer him up. While he was stuck in his thoughts a junior student ran up to him.

"Senior Adam!" The boy shouted once he had sighted in him in the class.

Adam rose his head quickly from the desk, startled by the sudden call. "What is it?" He asked.

The junior took small breaths to calm himself after he'd ran a distance. "Senior Amaka asked me to call you, she said it's very urgent. She said that you should run that there isn't much time to waste." The junior said quickly and Adam's brows creased in confusion and worry.

"Where is she?" Adam asked.

"She's at the car park. Please senior Adam, she was crying, I think it's extremely important." The junior added.

Adam stuffed his books into his bags and ran leaving the junior student who was still bent over trying to catch his breath. Once Adam had reached the car park, he met Amaka the same way the junior had described her actions. She was a crying mess.

"What's wrong?" Adam asked, pure worry and concern dripping from his tone.

"It's Fiona." That was all he needed to for realization to dawn on him. Fiona, Fiona, Fiona.

-------------------++-+

Earlier on, Fiona had asked her parents to take her out of the hospital. They didn't want to at first, but when they saw how desperate she was to leave the hospital, they had no choice but to grant the girl her wish. Now, she laid on her bed. Wheezing for breath, each breath she took felt like needles were being stuck into her lungs and it hurt her so much. Her whole body ached and she felt so weak, her eyes were opened but only halfway.

"Oh God!" Mrs Adeleke cried. Her husband hugged her, gave her back small pats and muttered calming words to her. It pained her, it hurt her so much as she saw her child suffer. Tomi and Tobi stood beside her bed, it still felt like a bad dream to them. Their little sister was going away never to return. It felt surreal.

Fiona mustered all the strength she had in her body to speak.

"M- mum, Dad." She forced herself to say. Tears pooled in her father's eyes.