18

Author's POV

"He doesn't belong with me." Natasha whispered under her breath.

"What?" Clint asked her. Natasha shut her eyes closed as she blamed herself for not remembering Clint had perfect hearing, thanks to his hearing aids. "Nothing." She mumbled as she tried to walk to the lift, but she was pulled back as his wrist grabbed hers.

 "Tasha, you can't fool me! You either tell me what's going on with you or I'd go ask around." Natasha looked at him with narrowed eyes "you wouldn't dare!" She hissed. "Oh you think so? How about I go ask Cap, who I have a feeling is the he!" Natasha sighed as she softly shook her head. "Fine, I'll tell you but not here." Clint nodded and walked her to the lift. 

They were both silent as they reached their floor and then her room. Natasha turned around to look at the door opposite to hers, knowing it belonged to the blonde soldier raised a twisted feeling in her guts. How he told Maria he'd taken two keys out for the both of them, the twinkle in his eyes, and how she was deciding to crush both of them. 

They walked in her room and Clint settled down the carry on he was holding beside her bed while waiting for the redhead to sit on its edge and take a sit next to her. He had already walked his family to their suite, and surprisingly all the kids were already tired enough to fall sleep immediately and that gave Lura the time to rest as well. 

"You know, I have all the time in the world." He broke the silent.

"Steve asked me to be his girlfriend." Natasha sighed. "What??" Clint screamed at her as she shrugged. "And what did you say?" Clint asked with his brows moving close to each other. Natasha only looked away, avoiding her gaze. "You said Yes??" He asked with a very too enthusiastic tone. "I have to end it before it starts." Natasha mumbled. "What?" Clint was starting to get irritated. "His Captain America, Clint. His a legend, the legend. How can he be with me? The black widow! The former assassin and spy!" Her voice cracked.

 "Because you're not that! You're not those! You even say it yourself, former! You're an Avenger now!" He was angry, he hated the fact that she would still underestimate herself and she refused to let anyone in. The one time she'd lowered her walls was with Bruce, something he had not approved from the very beginning, since Laura dropped the hint that those two where a thing. 

"Tasha, you're amazing, wonderful, nice, caring and strong! You can handle aliens and super soldiers, why would you ever doubt yourself?" Clint sighed as he cupped her face in his hands "You aren't the black widow Tasha, you are a sister to me, an aunt to my kids and a friend to every single one of the Avengers. I'm pretty sure you're like a daughter to Fury, but he'd never admit to it." He let out a chuckle hopping she would join him but she didn't. 

She didn't laugh or chuckle, she didn't even smile, instead her eyes grew glossy as her lips trembled as she looked Clint deep in his eyes. Clint's eyes widened at the sight and pulled her to his chest. "But I'm not worth him." She sobbed in his chest, letting tears run down her face. Clint was silent. He had never seen her cry like this, not even after seeing the visions Wanda had shown her years ago. That had been the most vulnerable he had ever seen her and that was nothing close to this. This was a meltdown. 

He soothed her back as he tried to gather his thoughts "what does it all matter if the two of you like each other?" He asked her in a soft tone. "He doesn't know what he's getting himself into, I can't even give him a family." Her voice was muffled as she pressed her head to his chest to stop her sobs. "Please tell me you're not going to destroy something good just because you're feeling insecure!" He argued as he pulled himself back. "I have too, before I hurt him. Or before he realizes I'm not the woman he wants to spend his life with and leave me." She folded her hands over her laps and held her head with her hands. "He is going to hate me, isn't he?" She looked at him, her eyes pleading him for slightest rays of hope.