23

Natasha woke up to the mattress beneath her moving. She turned to see Steve sitting on the edge of her bed, with only his boxers. She smiled at the sight and reached her hand to stroke his back. Steve turned and a sudden smile appeared on his face "Morning." She looked around the room to see the poor rays of sun crawl over the room. The look of disappointment took over her face "Aren't we on vacation? Why are you up so early?" She groaned.

"You're always up early." He grinned.

"I only get a good night's sleep with you and you're ruining it." She nagged as she pulled herself closer to him, wrapping the sheets around her body.

"I'm sorry Nat, but I think you should get washed up and dressed." He told her while turning around and pulling her to his lap.

"Why?" She whined.

"Clint's bringing the kids to you." He whispered to her ear.

Natasha grunted at the reminder "You know taking care of those two is just as hard as fighting aliens!" She mused.

"Really?" He chuckled with surprise.

Natasha nodded softly, resting her head on his shoulder. "Steve?" She murmured.

"Nat?" He responded with a smile.

"Do you really not want kids?" She asked, feeling a lump grow in her throat.

"Nat, believe me, there was a time when I dreamed about having a family. A house in a farm, a wife, kids, stability. But that all went in the ice." He sighed. Natasha curled herself on his laps.

"Never?".

Steve could feel the hurt in her voice. He slightly pulled back to face her "I never said never." He gave her a smile.

"Then you do want kids." Her voice was broken as she shifted in his embrace, trying to move away. "Hey, hey!"

Steve tightened his hold on her "What's wrong?" He asked her.

"You want kids, you don't need me." She mumbled as she struggled to get of his laps.

Steve could feel her heartbreak as she wasn't using her strength at whole or she would have been out of his arms the minute she wished to do so.

"Natasha, don't!" He held her arms in one of his and curled the other around her waist "I meant if you want!" Natasha calmed as he went on "I mean if you ever want that, then we'll think of something." She relaxed in his embrace.

"Nat, I need to ask you something." She didn't move, just stayed where she was. "Do you want it?" He asked her with a gentle tone. Natasha tilted her head to face him. "Do you want a future with me?" He asked as kindly as he could.

Natasha's expression didn't change, she looked blankly ahead. "Nat" he called her with a soft stroke on her cheek. She looked him in the eyes, a spark shining her eyes "I think I do." She watched Steve's lips curl up to a wide smile, his eyes laughing like a little boy's. He leaned down and kissed her fiercely, catching her breath with his movements. He gave her a final peck before parting his lips from hers.

"Close your eyes." He whispered to her. Natasha gave him a confused look but did as told. She felt Steve's body fidgeting and his hands moving, then she felt something cold touch her skin, first her neck and then her chest. She slowly opened her eyes and looked down to see Steve's dog tag resting on her bare skin. She looked up at him.

"I want you to wear it." He gave her a soft smile as Natasha's eyes started to shine. She smiled and leaned in his embrace, her head resting on his chest. She inhaled his scent deeply and he wrapped his hands around her delicate figure, his chin resting on her head. He held her for a while before he gently pulled his body away.