45| Pawn

Anvi runs out of her car to the pub. She tied her hair in a bun and opened the door of the pub. As she expected the music was paused and the people were interested in the fight more than their drinks and other things.

She quickly took a scan around. Sanjay was drinking his beer looking at the fight. He had grown a beard and looked dead nowadays.

Rehan was punching Sharma and the latter was not backing off too as he punched Rehan in the guts.

Anvi shook her head and walk to Rehan. She was mad that everyone turned into an audience without pulling them away.

"Back off Sanjay!" Anvi shouted pulling Rehan. "Rehan. Stop!"

"You son of a bitch." Sharma screamed grabbing a beer bottle and thrashing it against Rehan's head but Rehan quickly defended it using his hand as the glass bottle crashed against his wrist.

Rehan groaned in pain and kicked Sharma in the stomach. He punched as many times as he could into Sharma's body, wherever he could.

Anvi wrapped her hands around Rehan's torso pulling him back.

"Aadhya--Aadhya" She whispered in his ears.

Rehan's hands froze so does his legs. He screamed kicking one of the chairs and grabbing a beer goes out of the bar.

Anvi sighed covering her face. She held her hand out and helped Sharma to get up. She could bet she felt a hot gaze on her neck.

"Everybody is going through a lot. And it would be so great if you could keep it inside your pants." Anvi said her eyes glaring at Sharma's. Before Sharma could speak she interrupted. "And I know them. Rehan won't miss a chance to kick you, please stay away."

Sharma looked at her, he could not listen to her words, and then walked out of the bar grabbing his jacket. The music played again across the bar and the people continued whatever they were doing.

Anvi pulled Sanjay and dragged him out of the bar. Rehan was sitting in the driver seat of his car with the door open. He held the unfinished beer in his hand and stared nowhere.

"You guys are freaking old. Like old people. Your school teachers have already forgotten your name and I still don't remember the name of some of my friends and you are here fighting with the guy who's a police officer. He's the one who's leading our case. What is wrong with you? Why would you go and fight him?" Anvi yelled grabbing the bottle and throwing it on the floor.

Rehan looked at her for a second and then shook his head vigorously.

"Hey!" Anvi warned. "Do not give me that 'when will she and Sanjay break up so she won't be family' look"

Rehan pouted. "I never did."

"I know you always do!" Anvi gave him her sharpest look and then turned towards Sanjay.

"Your cousin died. Tara died. She's the sweetest person I've ever met. Every day I cry thinking about her. I loved her. And yes she fell right in front of you and died. And then you couldn't save his girl. Yes, you're guilty. Yes, you're feeling guilty because you think it's because you went from home. But hear me out, it is not your fault. It was never yours." Her eyes welled up as she looked at her lover's appearance. The beard, eye bags, unpressed clothes, he was a mess.

Sanjay mumbled a sorry and went to Rehan's car, sitting on the passenger seat.

"You're coming with me. Get inside now." Anvi yelled making Sanjay groan as he goes to sit inside her car.

"I'm going. Bye." Rehan shut the door and Anvi run back to his side and took his car keys.

"You're not." Anvi dragged him out of his car. "You're coming with me. The last thing I want is one more death."