49| Let Go

Rehan Malhotra

Weirdly everything was going nice around me. From my part no alcohol, or making stupid decisions. Even though life is not exactly like before it was somewhat similar to our previous life.

Tara's family went back to Delhi, they are now slowly coming out of their grief. My family and Sanjay's moved back to our own home. Rhea and Jiya are still going to therapy. They are still scared to see the path where Tara fell. No one pressures them for anything, they are already traumatized.

Aadhya is at her parents' house and I'm going to bring her back today evening. A great part of me is relieved to know that Aadhya doesn't remember anything, because if she would have I don't think I could have managed to pull her from all the pain.

I told Ved it wasn't his doing that caused everything but he doesn't believe me. And he's going through the rough patch. He also told me Rahul never use drugs, except smoking, and that he shared the blame with him. Nonetheless, I still don't get how Dad gets to know about it.

"After cleaning give this to Ved, he needs to clean his yuck room," Liya said to me keeping the mop on the door.

"I will," I replied before she went back. I was cleaning my room. The police had searched our entire home and shook our house.

I took the dresses which lay on the floor and threw them in the wardrobe. I pulled the sheets, pillowcases and curtains before putting them in the basket where Aadhya keeps our dirty clothes for laundry.

I sweep the floor and then mopped before putting the carpet down. Taking new sheets and pillowcases I covered the bed and pillow. I carried all the unfolded clothes and place them on the bed. I took my suitcase and kept all my clothes on the bed.

I folded every clothes and it took more time than I expected. I went to place the clothes in the wardrobe and I happen to see a half-wrapped present. I keep the dress aside and took the present out.

It was a square box. I was sure it's for me from Aadhya. My phone rang and I checked it to find Aadhya calling.

"You couldn't have called me in a better time," I say keeping the phone on the dressing table. "I'm going to open this,"

I sat on the chair and placed the box on the table. 

"Oh god," She laughed blushing. "It is not fully ready. It's a mess,"

I open the box it contained Polaroid pictures. One was a pregnancy test.

"This is beautiful," I said to Aadhya looking at the pregnancy test photo. As I looked into the box there was her baby bump photo she took in front of the mirror, all of these were our private photos.

"Oh this is my favourite," I showed her the picture of us laying on the bed. She had my shirt on and I was wearing nothing. There were shots of me kissing her and her laughing.

"I know," She laughed. "We can maybe recreate those in some weeks,"

I smirk as I took the phone in my hand. "Well somebody is naughty,"

"Learnt from you, for sure," She said tugging her hair back.

A knock disturbed us. I opened the door to see Ved. He looked like he'll die any moment now.

"I'll be there at seven. Talk to you later," I hung up the phone and looked at Ved. "What?"

"Police is here," He said. "I think they are going to arrest me,"

"Nobody is going to arrest you, come," I said walking downstairs. Sanjay Sharma was here with two of his inspectors.

"Hey," I say standing infront of him. "What brings you here?" I wanted to put my best behaviour with Sharma. If he gets to know the whole reason behind the accident was my brother's debt for drug, he will surely dig Ved deeper.