12| Horoscope ✓

AADHYA

I can't stop the tears. It rushes down and down and I can only feel it. I look at my Mom and for the first time I see her raise her voice against my father. My pregnant sister and agitated brother too are shouting in my defense. Trying to put sense into my father's brain.

He isn't listening.

He isn't listening to anyone.

I close my eyes as I feel my headache comes running to me. I look around at everybody.

"-Even if she was in a relationship I would have gladly gotten her married to her boyfriend!" Bhai yells and the sound from the contact of Dad's palm against his cheek silence the room.

"I'm not dead! I won't let you and your sister ruin the pride of this family. My family has generations of customs and cultures, and I won't let you ruin them." Dad yells. "I made you get married. You are living happily here. I got Jhanvi married and she's about to start her family. And now I'm going to let Aadhya married so that my family's honour and name aren't tainted!"

"When?" I ask. "When have I ever tainted your family's name? I have lived by all your rules and regulations throughout my life. You told me, I should do this and I have done the same, in every matter."

"Then what is the problem with your marriage?" Dad yells and for the first time, in days he looks directly in my eyes. "Is there some lowlife you have found?"

"No!" I yell back. "This is my life. I simply don't want to get married. There can be a reason without the involvement of a boy!"

"Do not raise your voice!"

"You are my father! Your blood is running through my veins! How can I not?"

"You are a girl! Your voice should not come out of these four walls." Dadi hisses. I roll my eyes and try to control my anger. She grabs my arm and turns me around. "You should go and make your own house. This is only your father's house."

I groan. "How!" I ask her. "How! How can you only say offensive things to me every freaking time? I'm a girl and I have a voice! If God didn't want me to raise my voice he wouldn't have given me the ability to speak! This is my house too. As terrible as it can be, it's my house too! You and your son are already to kick me out of here and sent me to strangers!"

I didn't realize I'm still crying until Nita Bhabhi wraps her arm around me and wipes my tears.

Dad stands in front of me. He looks sad. He is tired. The wrinkles around his eyes, the lines in his forehead, his light grey hair, he has grown more old these days. He grabs my hand.

"Rehan wants to hear the yes from you. He called and asked to speak with you. Say yes to him. Do not let me down." He says and looks at our hand.

"But shouldn't you consider if I'm happy or not?" I ask calmly now.

"You will be happy there."

"This is my home. I should be happy here."

"Diya, listen to my words," Dad says and touches my hair. I close my eyes as tears spill down. Without saying another word, he turns around to walk.

"What if she doesn't want to get married?" Bhai asks.

"Then be ready to attend my funeral." He says before getting out of the house.

I walk to my room and lock the door as soon as I enter. I fall to bed and let everything out. I couldn't stop crying. I grab a pillow and bite it to stop my screaming.

I wake up when I hear the continuous vibration in the bed. I look around and I realize I have been sleeping. I look in the mirror and I don't recognize myself.
The vibration pulls me out and I search for it in the bed. I take it and I have seventeen missed calls from Rehan.