You're a bandit like me

November 2020

Taylor is teetering on the brink of sleep when she is jolted back to wakefulness by Karlie shifting behind her. Taylor opens a bleary eye to glance at the clock on the bedside table which confirms that it's after one in the morning and they should both be asleep by now. Taylor settles again hoping to drift off when she hears Karlie let out a frustrated huff and shift again.

Taylor shuffles over and turns around in the circle of Karlie's arms so that she can face her. 

"What's wrong?" Taylor asks, slipping her hand under Karlie's tank top so that she can trail her fingers along the warm skin of Karlie's back, scratching softly.

"I can't hold you properly anymore because of this bump," Karlie whines, a soft pout on her face.

Taylor is not expecting that and the only thing that keeps her from laughing out loud is the truly pitiful look on Karlie's face. Taylor's hand smooths along Karlie's hip, coming to rest on the gentle swell of her stomach at the mention of her bump.

"That's our baby in there," Taylor chastises, trailing her fingers along Karlie's skin.

Taylor can't resist leaning in to press her lips against Karlie's pout. She gently nudges Karlie over on to her other side so that she can settle behind Karlie, her arms wrapping firmly around Karlie's waist.

"Better?" Taylor asks, pressing a kiss to the back of Karlie's neck.

"Mmm-hmmm," Karlie replies as she settles back into Taylor's embrace. Karlie reaches out to grasp Taylor's hand and tangle their fingers. She lifts her shirt and guides their joined hands towards her abdomen.

Taylor smiles, splays her fingers wide against the small bump there, thumb softly stroking against skin and Karlie sighs contentedly.

"Don't get too comfortable back there," Karlie mumbles and Taylor can tell that she's fighting to stay awake.

"I could get a taste for it," Taylor whispers back.

"This is only temporary," Karlie grumbles.

"Go to sleep," Taylor says softly, giving Karlie a gentle squeeze.

"Kay," Karlie sighs before falling silent.

A few moments pass and Taylor is fairly sure that Karlie has fallen asleep when the silence is interrupted by Karlie's quiet mumble of "Goodnight Taylor, I love you."

Taylor can't help but smile at the words, conscious that she should have known better than to expect Karlie to fall asleep without saying goodnight; it's one of Taylor's favourite little habits of Karlie's.

When they had first started spending the night together, it had taken Taylor a while to notice that Karlie never went to sleep without saying goodnight to her. When she had asked about one night, Karlie had explained that it was a habit leftover from when she was a kid, her and her sisters used to holler goodnight to each other from their respective bedrooms like they were on The Waltons.

Ever since then there had been goodnight texts and goodnight phone calls and voice memos when they had been apart and soft, whispered goodnights whenever they were together. Taylor will admit that there have been times when she will start up a conversation again after Karlie has already said it just to hear her whisper that she loves her and say goodnight to her again before she settles down to go to sleep.

"Goodnight baby, I love you too," Taylor replies, pressing one last kiss to the back of Karlie's neck.