No More Keeping Score, Now I Just Keep You Warm

November 2020

"There you are," Taylor says as she walks into the living room of their Beverley Hills home to find Karlie reading a book on the couch. "I thought you were doing some yoga?"

"I was but I got tired," Karlie says sheepishly, picking up her bookmark and setting her book down on the table beside her.

"Can I talk to you about something?" Taylor asks hesitantly and Karlie nods, patting the spot next to her on the couch.

"You know how we're filming the Disney special soon," Taylor asks settling comfortably next to Karlie.

"You might've mentioned it once or twice," Karlie replies, chuckling softly at her own joke as she reaches out to wrap an arm around her wife.

Taylor rolls her eyes and shoots Karlie an exasperated glare before continuing. "And there has been a lot of speculation about the real identity of William Bowery?"

"Mmm-hmm?" Karlie nods.

"Well," Taylor hums and she reaches for Karlie's hand and intertwining their fingers. "We were considering just saying that it was Joe," Taylor continues, her eyes trained on Karlie to gauge her reaction.

"What?" Karlie asks, confusion colouring her voice. She searches Taylor's face for any sign that she might be joking but if there is one thing Taylor doesn't joke about it's her work. That coupled with the way that Taylor is nervously playing with her fingers is enough for Karlie to know that this is no joke.

"You're serious?" Karlie asks incredulously.

"Austin doesn't want anyone to know that it's him, he doesn't want people thinking that he only got the gig because he's my brother," Taylor rushes to explain.

"Yeah," Karlie nods patiently waiting for Taylor to continue.

"And we were thinking that it might be a good final push for grammy voting."

"Really?" Karlie asks tilting her head in confusion.

"Yeah," Taylor nods.

"But wouldn't it generate more buzz if it was a mystery and people could speculate?" Karlie asks.

"People have already speculated, they have their theories, this will be a way to make sure they're still talking about it," Taylor shrugs.

Karlie nods her head considering Taylor's words and Taylor gives her some time to process, content to wait her out.

"Talk to me Karlie, what are you thinking?" Taylor pleads, ducking her head to catch Karlie's eyes. It's always easy to see what Karlie is feeling by looking in her eyes which is one of the many things Taylor loves about her.

Karlie pauses to collect her thoughts, considering what she wants to say and squeezing Taylor's hands between her own. "I'm not sure how I feel having him permanently tied to your work... but it's your decision I guess."

"This would only be temporary," Taylor rushes to re-assure her. "I'll tell them about Austin eventually, once he's comfortable with it. And then it will just look like Joe did him a favour by agreeing to it."

"I know how important the Grammy's are to you," Karlie says softly, tracing her fingers along Taylor's palm. She had seen first hand how disappointed Taylor had been after her previous two albums hadn't been nominated.

Taylor shakes her head softly. "Hey Karlie, look at me," Taylor pleads as she reaches out to cradle Karlie's face in her hands, her fingers stroking along Karlie's jaw before tangling in the soft baby hairs at the base of Karlie's neck.

"You are my wife. You are carrying my baby," Taylor says strongly, her voice cracking with emotion as one of her hands finds its way to Karlie's growing baby bump. "Nothing in the world is more important to me than you are. I'm not going to do this if you're not on board with it."

"It's not like I haven't done my fair share of stunts over the past couple of years," Karlie shrugs and Taylor hates how small her voice sounds.

"Hey, no. Don't do that," Taylor whispers with a soft shake of her head. "This isn't a contest. We're on the same team," Taylor says softly, nudging Karlie's nose before leaning in and resting her forehead against Karlie's .

"I know," Karlie nods, closing her eyes and wrapping her arms firmly around Taylor and holding her close. Taylor sinks into Karlie's embrace, tucking her face into soft skin of Karlie's neck and pressing a gentle kiss there.

Several minutes later Karlie breaks the comfortable silence that had settled over them. "I'm ok with whatever you want to do, it's your decision."

"Ok," Taylor nods solemnly and Karlie can tell that this isn't a victory for her, that she's not looking forward to this any more than Karlie is.

"I love you," Taylor whispers and she hates that it sounds like she's offering Karlie some sort of consolation.

"I love you too," Karlie whispers back with a small smile and Taylor hates that it's tinged with sadness. 

Title is from Long Story Short but this is actually inspired by Tolerate It and it came out a little sadder than I intended - let me know what you think, comments make me smile! 

Fingers and toes crossed for tonight, but just in case Tswizz says something stupid in her speech, I wanted to have this up beforehand - I don't know who the real WB is but I know who it ain't....