Taylor's Birthday

December 2019

"You're home!" Karlie calls out when her eyes land on Taylor sitting on the couch in their living room with Benjamin curled up in her lap. 

"I am," Taylor says, reaching out for Karlie as soon as she steps into the room not wanting to disturb the sleeping cat but all too aware that this is the first time she and Karlie have been in the same room in over a week.

Taylor tangles her fingers with Karlie's as soon as she's within touching distance and uses their clasped hands to pull Karlie down beside her, her free hand coming up to curl around the back of Karlie's neck, fingers tangling in the wisps of blonde hair there. 

"I'm so glad you're here," Karlie whispers, before she smiles and leans down, pressing their lips together firmly. 

Taylor melts, tilts her head up for better access as she kisses Karlie back, mouth parting at Karlie's urging and when she licks into Taylor's mouth, the sweet sigh she lets out is like music to Karlie's ears. 

Karlie wraps her arm around Taylor's waist and when she tightens her hold, Taylor sighs again and it's one of Karlie's favourite sounds and so she can't help but tug at Taylor's lower lip just to hear it again. 

Taylor doesn't disappoint, body melting against Karlie's and it's only a disgruntled meow from Benjamin that breaks them apart as he stalks away to an armchair beside the fireplace with Olivia.

Karlie pulls away first, breathing stunted as she cups Taylor's jaw, a wise decision when Taylor sways forwards to reconnect their lips but Karlie's smiling too wide to kiss her back fully, so Taylor settles for placing a kiss to the corner of Karlie's mouth, taking a moment to catch her breath.

Taylor shifts to move away but Karlie wraps an arm around her waist, tugging Taylor so she's settled on her lap facing her and burying her face in the crook of her neck. 

Taylor settles comfortably against Karlie's chest, draping her arms around her shoulders and she feels more than hears the mumbled "missed you" that's breathed into her neck.

"I missed you too," Taylor whispers, turning her head to press a kiss behind Karlie's ear and Karlie lets out a contented sigh in response.

"Are you ready for Christmas movie night?" Karlie asks smiling up at Taylor.

"You get first pick so, Love Actually or The Muppet's Christmas Carol?" Taylor responds, running her fingers through the soft baby hairs at the base of Karlie's neck.

"Muppets!" Karlie says with a decisive nod.

"What? I don't believe this," Taylor scoffs.

"Can I just say, you can't give me a choice and then criticise my decision," Karlie says looking up at Taylor incredulously. 

"Of course I can, don't be ridiculous Karlie. How was I supposed to know you'd pick the wrong one," Taylor fires back indignantly.

"Unbelievable."

"I'm so tired that I'm not going to fight you on this, but the next movie that we're going to be watching is Love Actually," Taylor says as she slides off Karlie's lap to settle beside her, cuddling close. 

"Are you too tired to talk about your birthday week?" Karlie inquires wrapping an arm around Taylor's shoulders so that she's nestled comfortably against her.

"I'm never too tired to talk about birthday week," Taylor responds, linking her fingers with Karlie's where they're resting over her shoulder and giving them a squeeze. 

"I just need to know where you'll be for the next few days so I can plan all my surprises."

"You have more surprises planned?"

"I'm just getting started baby. I have big plans for the next week," leaning down to press a kiss to Taylor's forehead. "I can't believe you haven't figured it out yet, turns out you're not as good at deciphering clues as you are at leaving them," Karlie teases.

"Hey, you can't be mean to me, it's my birthday," Taylor whines turning to look up at Karlie, an impressive pout on her face. 

"It's not your birthday yet," Karlie reminds her and she knows she shouldn't be proud of the self-restraint she shows at not leaning down to kiss the pout from Taylor's lips, but she can't help it. 

"It's my birthday week so my point still stands," Taylor argues. "Besides, I'm not trying to figure it out Karlie, I'm enjoying the mystery."

"Sure, whatever you say," Karlie says, laughing softly. "I just need your schedule until Friday."

"Because that's when my fabulous party is going to be?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, you wanted a party? I told people you didn't want to make a big deal out of your birthday this year."

"You're not funny," Taylor shoots back, pretending to be offended but Karlie can tell by the set of her jaw that she's trying not to smile.

"I told them, "Hey, please respect the lady's wishes. She deserves that at her age,"" Karlie teases flinching away from Taylor when she digs a sharp elbow into her side.

"I'm gonna make you pay for that later," Taylor growls into Karlie's ear and Karlie's snort is enough for Taylor to know that her threats have no effect on her and if anything she's looking forward to Taylor making good on her promise.

They're broken out of their silent staring contest by Karlie's phone vibrating on the coffee table which they both turn to look at. 

"Why is my Mom calling you?"Taylor asks, glancing back to Karlie who is studiously avoiding her eyes.

"No reason," Karlie shrugs evasively, reaching around Taylor to grab her phone. 

"Ah, some secret birthday business?" Taylor asks smiling knowingly at Karlie.

"Not everything is about you Taylor," Karlie responds, shaking her head in exasperation. 

"It's about me," Taylor fires back with a smirk.

"She could want that recipe for vegan Christmas cookies that we were talking about last week."

"It's about me."

"She could be calling me to see if my parents are coming to Nashville after Christmas, she could be calling to ask me how to make a new board on Pinterest again, she could be calling for any number of reasons none of which include you or your birthday," 

"It's about me," Taylor maintains, unconvinced by Karlie's protests.

"Just put the movie on while I call her back?" Karlie asks with a sweet smile, before pressing a quick kiss to Taylor's lips and leaving the room.

She returns not even five minutes later to see the opening credits of Love Actually playing, Taylor pretending to be engrossed in the t.v. to avoid meeting Karlie's gaze. 

"What happened to the Muppets?" Karlie asks settling back on the couch next to Taylor, tugging her legs so they're resting in her lap. 

"What did my Mom want?" Taylor asks ignoring Karlie's question.

"Oh, she was just calling to make sure we hadn't forgotten that she'll be here from Thursday."

"It was so about me," Taylor says smugly.

Karlie reaches out to guide Taylor's face to hers so that she can lean in to kiss her deeply.

"Shut up and watch your movie," she whispers against Taylor's lips when she pulls back, satisfied by the dazed look on Taylor's face as she slowly blinks her eyes open.