It's a love story, baby

February 2021

"What do you want for dinner?" Taylor asks from her position on the outdoor couch in the garden of their Beverly Hills home next to Karlie, who is engrossed in her iPad.

When Karlie doesn't respond, Taylor shuffles closer and wriggles her way under one of Karlie's arms so that she's settled comfortably against Karlie's side.

"Karlie?" She asks again, pressing a kiss to her neck.

"No judgement ok?" Karlie asks, reaching out her pinky towards Taylor, her eyes raised expectantly.

"Of course," Taylor promises, liking her pinky with Karlie's and shaking it. "Tell me what you want?"

"Pancakes?" Karlie asks hopefully.

"Oh...kay," Taylor says, confused as to why Karlie was so nervous to tell her when breakfast for dinner is one of their favourite things to make.

"And chicken wings," Karlie mumbles sheepishly.

"Ew," Taylor says wrinkling her nose at Karlie's random pregnancy cravings, which have only gotten more bizarre as time has passed.

"Please?" Karlie pleads with an impressive pout.

"Fine," Taylor relents patting Karlie's thigh before she rises and heads back inside to start cooking. "Did you take your vitamins this morning?" Taylor asks turning back to Karlie at the sliding glass door.

"Yep" Karlie confirms picking her iPad up again.

"And your green juice?"

"Yes."

"Good girl."

"Don't patronise me," Karlie fires back. "I'm surprised you haven't just put me in a bubble until this baby is born."

"Don't tempt me Karlie," Taylor sasses as she steps into the kitchen.

Taylor re-emerges to the garden a half hour later, Karlie's chicken wings in the oven and she notices that the new version of Love Story is playing from Karlie's iPad on the ground next to her.

Karlie is lying down on the couch and Taylor thinks she may have fallen asleep until she realises that Karlie is singing along softly, her hands cradling her baby bump.

Taylor has been busy introducing the baby to some of her favourite music having read that it's good for its development. She's been playing everything from James Taylor, Janis Joplin and Jonie Mitchell to the Beatles and Dolly Parton but Karlie has been making sure that there is plenty of Taylor's own music mixed in there too.

"I still can't believe this is your favourite," Taylor says shaking her head as she steps back onto the patio.

Karlie's head snaps up, her face flushing in embarrassment at being caught. "I can't pick a favourite, I love them all," Karlie assures as Taylor takes a seat next to her on the couch, pulling Karlie's legs into her lap.

"But this was the first one that I really loved so it will always be special," Karlie sighs as Taylor begins to massaging her feet.

A comfortable silence settles over both women, that's punctuated by Karlie's sleepy sighs as Taylor continues to work her magic on Karlie's aching muscles.

"You know in the liner notes for this, the secret message was 'someday I'll find this'," Taylor whispers, unsure if Karlie has fallen asleep. She's gotten used to Karlie's more frequent napping during her pregnancy.

"Yeah?' Karlie asks blinking up at Taylor with a sleepy smile, her heart warming at the thought of a teenage Taylor imagining her fairytale love story.

"I think I found it," Taylor admits and she almost ducks her head, suddenly shy but she finds she can't look away from Karlie's gaze. A smile that's pure sunshine overtakes Karlie's face at Taylor's words and it makes Taylor's heart flutter in her chest.

"You did?" Karlie gasps with a teasing smile. "With who?" She demands, narrowing her eyes playfully at her wife.

"You know what, I don't know why I even bother," Taylor says rolling her eyes. "You ruin all my romantic moments," Taylor complains, her fingers skirting up the sole of Karlie's foot in retribution.

Karlie squirms away from Taylor's tickling fingers and attempts to sit up properly. Taylor can't help but smile at Karlie's struggle, her put-on expression melting away at the sight of her normally super athletic wife look a little like a turtle that has been overturned on its shell.

"I'm sorry," Karlie says as she shifts over and attempts to press a kiss to Taylor's lips but Taylor turns her head at the last moment and her lips end up on Taylor's cheek.

"Baby," Karlie pleads, reaching out to tilt Taylor's face towards her.

"Forget I said anything," Taylor mutters, still steadfastly refusing to look at Karlie.

"No, no take-backs," Karlie gasps, shaking her head decisively and she leans in to kiss Taylor firmly, effectively silencing any further protests. 

Some super quick pregnancy fluff in honour of Love Story - Taylor's version. Let me know what you think, comments make me smile.