Chapter 11

The nickname Oikawa gave her spread like wildfire. Especially after he mentioned it in one of his interviews for a popular Japanese volleyball magazine, Volleyball Weekly. 

(Y/N) groaned to herself, remembering the event. A reporter had cornered Oikawa after their first official volleyball match of the season, asking how he felt about this year. Oikawa replied he was confident as long as Aoba Johsai had their guardian angel. The reporter was immediately intrigued, asking about this mysterious guardian angel. The setter was happy to oblige, providing the reporter with plenty of information about his precious manager-chan.

And here (Y/N) was, staring at one of the articles in Volleyball Weekly, frozen in a state of shock. The title read in bold, The Angel of Aoba Johsai, underneath was a photo of her talking to the team during their water break in Seijoh's first match against Johzenji. She further read the article, "After Aoba Johsai's decisive win over Johzenji, the captain of Aoba Johsai was asked how he felt about the team's outlook for this year. Oikawa said that he was confident in their future victories, attributing this confidence to their "secret weapon". What is the secret weapon? Turns out it is not an "it", but a "she". The alluring and mysterious manager who recently transferred to Aoba Johsai this year, (Y/N). Coach Irihata of Aoba Johsai stated that her strategy, information, and analyses have been so far invaluable to Aoba Johsai. However, not much is known about this young woman, other than she is the sister of the famous, Ushijima Wakatoshi and was once a young volleyball prodigy in America, regarded as the Queen of the Court and Master Tactician, before a devastating injury. It's rare to see a non-player make such an impact on the court. Will this Angel of Aoba Johsai help lead Seijoh to victory? Only time will tell."

The small manager's cheeks flamed as she finished reading the article. Thousands of thoughts and memories swirled through her mind like a raging hurricane. Iwaizumi looked at the girl warily as she fixed an icy glare on Oikawa. "How could you?" She growled, crumpling the magazine.

The team gulped apprehensively, as they stared at the small but suddenly terrifying girl. A dark aura seemed to radiate from her. At the moment, she was definitely no angel.

"What's wrong, chibi-chan?" Oikawa asked, faking innocence, "I think the nickname is catchy."

"What's wrong is you using me in the media without my permission." She said tersely. "Now I seem like some secret weapon, some tool, that magically assures this team's victory!" Her mind flashed to Brunswick Academy, she was simply a tool for them to use to win matches, once she was out of use and broken beyond repair, they discarded her. 

Now everyone in Japan knew of her relationship to Ushijima, and they'd see her as simply Ushijima's sister, something she had been trying to avoid all her life. They also knew about her injury, she didn't think she could handle the pity. To top it off, she now had the added pressure of the media watching her, counting on her to produce results. She was mad. Mad at Oikawa. Mad at herself.

"(Y/N), you know we don't see you like that," Iwaizumi said, placatingly, noticing that the manager was about to boil over, "But nonetheless, you are a vital part of our team."

(Y/N) didn't listen. She stood suddenly and stormed out of the club room before she did something she would regret. She could feel her rage bubbling under her skin, soon to reach the surface. The team's voices like distant buzzing in her ears. She marched through the hallways, memories of her dad, her team, the hospital, at the forefront of her mind. Her knee brace felt like a lead weight.

She felt someone's hand on her shoulder and she whirled around to meet a familiar pair of chocolate eyes, "What?" She practically snarled. 

"Why are you mad at me?" Oikawa asked his face for once serious. "I didn't mean to offend you."