Chapter 7

(Y/N) POV

The small manager yawned as she filled up the water bottles. Her eyes wandered to the boys volleyball team running sprints. It had been her idea to replace their daily jog with suicides. She couldn't help the small, sadistic grin that tugged at her lips.

Volleyball was a sport that didn't require long periods of running, but rather short sprints and constant direction change. She'd realized that their long jog wasn't helping them with those skills. High intensity suicides helped build their stamina and speed while working on quick cuts and directional changes. 

When she had brought these suggestions to the coaches, they were impressed and immediately implemented them, asking her to put together a sample conditioning plan. 

"Where did you learn all of this, chibi-chan?" Oikawa asked, listening into her discussion with the coaches.

They glanced at her curiously, also wondering how the girl was so knowledgeable.

"My dad is a volleyball training coach for the Irvine Polar Bears," (Y/N) explained, "He's written a few books about volleyball physical training as well. Dad made sure to personally train and teach me himself when I started playing." 

She frowned, remembering how her dad insisted she learned all that he knew, so his little baby girl wouldn't injure herself through volleyball. She could still remember the fight the two had before she left for her sophomore year of boarding school at Brunswick Academy. Her dad had caught wind from her coach that she was pushing herself outside of practice. He confronted her, but she insisted she was fine and the extra practice and training wouldn't hurt, but make her stronger. Her dad, having trained players for years, knew how it would end. He yelled at her, saying she would hurt herself and may never be able to recover, she would ruin her volleyball career. (Y/N) chalked up his concern to being an overprotective dad and ignored him; doing her own thing as it was the only way she could get better, be the best. It was her life, not his. She and her dad had never fought so hard, hurtful things were said to one another, and finally, her dad relented.

She could still remember their last words to one another, before the incident that would end her days of volleyball:

"Fine. Don't listen to me. If you want to go destroy your body and ruin your volleyball career, then be my guest. You're too damn stubborn." Utsui Takashi yelled, glaring at his daughter.

"Look on the bright side dad, if my volleyball career gets ruined, at least you can try again with my golden-boy brother." She laughed mirthlessly, "I know you wish you gained custody of Wakatoshi rather than me." All of her insecurities and resentment bubbled to the surface.

"At least he'd be less stubborn!" He exclaimed. He then froze, realizing what he'd just said.

For the first time in years, (Y/N) felt tears well up.

"No, I didn't mean that. I'm so sorry, angel. I didn't mean it." He said, moving to hug his daughter, but the damage was already done. She stepped away from him, her head down, and walked to her room, each step feeling as if her shoes were made of lead.

When she reached her open bedroom door, she turned, facing her dad who had tears streaming down his cheeks, "It's funny how the truth sometimes just pops out. Now I know why mom divorced you." (Y/N) whispered viciously, before slamming the door behind her.

(Y/N) always had a gift for reading others, which included knowing how to hurt one the most.

Cold water splashed on her hands, snapping her back to reality. She looked down to see that the water bottle she was currently holding, overflowed. She shook her head, clearing the dark thoughts, and proceeded to fill up the next bottle.